New Tivo HD coming. When do I sign up for my service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jgerry, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 16
    jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...

Advertisements

I have decided to not suffer another new TV season with my crappy Comcast HD DVR. So I have jumped back into the fray after 1.5 years of Tivo-less hell.

I bought a new Tivo HD. It's on its way. I suppose I will call Comcast and set up my cablecard appointment when I know the new Tivo will be here. My question is: When do I sign up for my Tivo service? Before Comcast gets here, during, or after? I would think I'd need to register my new Tivo and pay for my service plan before Comcast gets here.

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 16
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    You should sign up before the tech comes to your residence to pair the cable cards to your Tivo... In the meantime you can still record "both tuners" the analog channels , 2 thru 99..

I didn't want to wait until after the cards were brought out, thought it best to have the service so that the cable guy/tech could ensure all channels were working properly, an not have to make a return trip...

Having said that, the first week still required 4 trips to get two cards working, a total of 14 cards to find two to work...

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 16
    AdamBAtlanta

AdamBAtlanta New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Atlanta
    I did the same thing as you. You do not need to purchase TiVo service in order for Comcast to get the cards installed and tested.

In my case, I bought the TiVo HD and went through guided setup on a Saturday and then called Comcast to schedule the "install" of the cable cards. First of all, TiVo gives you the first 7 days for free. This let me set it up and have it update the software through its internet connection to TiVo (although I suppose you could use dial-up) on the first day.

Comcast came the following Saturday. By that time, the free trial period had run out and the TiVo had started trying to annoy me into subscribing. The cards can be installed and you can use the "Test Channels" function under the CableCard setup to test the ability for each card to tune every channel. You can do this even with the trial period expired and the TiVo telling you that you need to sign up for service.

Because Comcast took four visits over three weeks to finally get two cable cards that worked and were configured correctly on their head end, I would have paid TiVo for a full month of service to have a box that I couldn't use. That would have made an already-frustrating experience intolerable. As it was, I signed up for service the day after I got the working cable cards and had no trouble repeating guided setup at the time.

Hope that helps.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 16
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There is no need to sign up immediately. Since THD doesn't support MRV or TTG, about the only thing you will miss without service activation is Unbox/TiVoCast support and online scheduling.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 16
    jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...

Advertisements

If I go this route, I'd also have no guide data, correct? Or would I get my 7 free days of use, which would put me at 21 days of guide data by the time it ran out (7 free days + 14 days of future guide data)? Or do I have to sign up to get my 7 free days? Ah, confusion.

I could probably live with no HD and no premium content for a week, but no guide data would be problematic. And if I pay for a month of Tivo service that I can't fully use, well... I'll be so ecstatic to have a Tivo again I probably won't care. :)

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 16
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Guide data and software updates will work as normal. In fact, you should definitely set the box up several days before the cable installer comes so it will already have the latest software and not be indexing all the guide data when the installer shows up. The only thing you will notice is that you might start getting reminders to activate and you will be missing the networking features (TivoCast/Unbox/Weather/etc).

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 16
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You will get 7 days from the time your TiVo first calls in, and you will get all guide data etc. The only things you will not get are in the previous posts in this thread. So if you make your first call the day before the Cable Co comes you will have 6 days to test out the CC (and you will get the new software update also which will be good to have before the CC are installed.)

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 16
    jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Thanks! When we are talking about the first "call", that can be via internet now, right? I no longer have a home phone line.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 16
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, I haven't used a phone line for setup for a year or more :)

10. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Sweet, thanks! I will report back on my install when my new toy arrives. I can't even express how thrilled I am to be going back to Tivo. August 2001 - June 2006 with my first-gen DirecTivo were some very good times indeed.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Depending on the version of the software installed on the box, it may not support 802.11g WiFi with WPA encryption, but it will certainly support a wired Ethernet connection and the TiVo WiFi USB adapter with WEP encryption. After it upgrades its software, WPA will work.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The OP is talking about a Tivo HD - the only wireless adapter it will support is the Tivo wireless G and WPA works out of the box.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I knew that the only WiFi adapter that it supports is the TiVo branded one, but I didn't know if it had WPA out of the box, or if that came with a software update. Thanks for the clarification. :up:

14. S Schultz

S Schultz New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Tacoma
    jgerry,

I dealt with my Comcast HD DVR for 9 months, and like you I finally ordered a new HD Tivo. The Series 2 had been put in the kid's playroom.

From what I understand, Comcast operates differently in certain parts of the country and may not allow you to do a self install, but here's what I did...

Went to my local Comcast store before my Tivo arrived and asked for two cablecards (they did not have M-Cards yet). After my Tivo arrived, I hooked everything up, and then called to register. They are so good and helpful over at Tivo!! Even suggested that if Comcast gave me any grief while installing the cablecards, that I could call Tivo and initiate a 3-way call so Tivo can tell the Comast guy what to do.

I installed the first card and called Comcast. They did all they could do to help, but after trying both cards they determined that both of the cards were defective. They then wanted to dispatch a truck to come out. The times didn't work for me at all, so I went back to Comcast and exchanged the cards for two more. I honestly didn't think they would work any better than the last two, but to my surprise, they installed without a hitch when I called Comast.

You're right, it is so nice to have Tivo back. Changes channels a little slow, but nothing bad enough to complain about.

Enjoy the Tivo , and good luck with Comcast!!

15. jsturtz

jsturtz New Member

Oct 24, 2002
    i just found a tivo3 hd xl at amazon for about $100 off the tivo.com price. i need to order the cable.guide service direct from tivo.com? i was thinking of the lifetime 399.00 package shown on the website under their tivo service comparison, as i figured that was better than 12.95/mo, but then the description of the lifetime service says [A subscription to the TiVo service is required and the TiVo box will not work without a paid subscription to the TiVo service.] and i became confused?? so what does the 399 buy, like a warranty?, and then i have to pay 12.95/mo after that. do i order the monthly guide service before the unit arrives, or wait till it comes in and order that via the phone/credit card as i am plugging things in at home. should i call my local cable company and order the 2 cards (or 1 mcard) now? price is the same even if i buy early, so i have them when the tivo unit arrives.

i believe i return my scientific atlanta box back to brighthouse when this is all setup.

thanks.

jim

16. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    The lifetime subscription (for the life of that Tivo) for $399 is in lieu of paying monthly. It is not a warranty. You will need the Tivo Service Number (TSN) to sign up for a subscription, so wait until you get the Tivo. Most cable companies will roll a tech to install the cable cards, even though you could do it yourself. If your cable company lets you self install, great. Once you have the Tivo, connect it to a phone line or network and run guided setup. In addition to setting up your channel guide, you will get the latest software after 3 or 4 connections. The unit then needs to reboot to load the software. Once you have the latest software, it is ready for the cable cards. There should be a printout in the Tivo box with instructions for the cable installer.

You are correct, you will no longer need a cable box, unless you want to connect it to a different input on the TV and use it for video on demand, or pay per view. Tivo does not support cable VOD or PPV, but if connected to a network, offers access to videos on Amazon, You Tube, and Netflix.