New Tivo HD and Verizon FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by coreyt, Jul 30, 2007.

1. coreyt

coreyt New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I've had 2 HDVR2's with Tivo and moved to FiosTV and really missed our tivo's.

So today I went out to Circuit City and grabbed me a TivoHD of 2 left. There were 5 yesterday. Nice to see them selling.

Called Verizon and said I wanted them to pick up the HD DVR and add 2 cablecards to the account and she said no problem and next Tuesday I'll see how things go.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind you need two MCARDs or four older 'S' CableCards to take advantage of dual tuners in two TivoHDs. Since Verizon sales generally can't tell you over the phone you need to ask for four CableCards, two for each TivoHD.

Ask them to make a note on your order, "bring MCARDs if available."

If they show up with MCARDs, then you only need one in each TivoHD. If they show up with the older 'S' CableCards, then you need two in each.

Edit: I see now that you only bought one TivoHD, not two. So you only need one MCARD or two older 'S' CableCards.

3. Eitel

Eitel Active Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Why he needs 4 cards? He only bought one Tivo HD.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I misread his post. I thought he replaced both his DirecTV DVRs.

For one, he only needs one MCARD or two older 'S' CableCards.

5. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    All I can say is GOOD luck with Verizon. I have been trying to get my S3 working for 2 weeks now. FINALLY they got one S card working (oddly enough in slot 2) and they are at my house right now with yet another CC trying to get it working. I have been through so many support reps and installers it's driving me nuts. I've been a Tivo user for many years and will continue but I hope you have better luck with the install then I'm having.

6. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm waiting on Verizon installers right now to activate a new TiVo HD. Got my S3 working a couple weeks ago with Verizon, and we didn't have any problem with the cable cards. The techs I had before followed my lead, so I'm hoping it goes that way today too. Before I had Verizon, I had Brighthouse, and had no cable card problems there. Each time, I make them follow the directions (1 card at a time, activate, etc.). Maybe I'm just lucky.

7. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I tried that, the major issue is that the people they have sent out know nothing about the technology, have never installed a cc and keep trying the it must be Tivo line. The issue is that 2 of the visits I've not been able to be home for only my wife and she knows nothing about them. She has given then the Tivo directions and such but to little avail. I have spent countless hours on the phone with tech support. I think it's a comedy of errors on their side but it's just getting old.

8. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I just had 4 CC installed with FIOS on Saturday and 3 out of 4 worked, still trying to get the last one authorized.

Just a note, a single 161-4 error is normal when activating the cards. Multiple errors means the card is broken, and if the box says "card is not operational" it can also mean it is doing something, so give it a minute before giving up on the card. This is all included on the TiVo website, as well as the the FIOS TiVocommunity thread.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=315826

9. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I'm in the same market and have also been pretty lucky, 8 CableCARDS installed and only one problem. (2 TiVos).

10. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I'm hoping they can get this all worked out. It sort of started with the original guy giving a wrong serial number and has slid from there. :)

Oh well I still like my Tivo's and thats what matters at least my S3 is half working.

11. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    So get this. I had a bad start with Verizon right out of the gate, but I love FIOS so I forgave them. Basically, on my install date, I sat home all day waiting for them to show up. Around 4pm I called, and after much investigation, turns out my install order was closed out with no action. I persisted, and they opened a repair ticket to do an install the next day (Saturday). I had to get them to come back 4 days later to install 2 cablecards because the repair guy/installer didn't have them on the truck.

Yesterday, I sit home all day waiting for Verizon to come out with 2 more cablecards for the new TiVo. At 5pm, nobody has arrived. I end up calling about 3 numbers, was put on hold for 15 minutes, transferred all over the place, and finally got someone who finds the order. They tell me that the order taker put the cablecard order on the DATA side and not the TV side (guess she didn't know what a cablecard is), so the order never went through. They volunteered a service credit (I didn't ask how much) and said someone would call me back ASAP to reschedule the install of 2 more cablecards.

I do love FIOS, but Verizon's order/dispatch system, at least in Tampa, is hosed up.

12. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I think the major issue is no one seems to know what a CableCard actually is. It's like we are speaking Greek or some alien language when we call in. I have had so many people say we will get this fixed today that last night I told someone when they said that no offense but i've heard it before and I will believe it when I actually see it. I like FiOS but this is getting very old, I have a very expensive piece of equipment I can't use like it's supposed to be used and no one seems to be able to figure out why.

13. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Does the tivo hd use the same remote as tivo s2? Will i need to use the 1 2 switch? so i wont change channels on both at the same time?

thanks

14. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Looks like the same remote to me, basically (I took it out of the box and put it aside and was going to use my old remote), but during setup of the TiVo HD I notice that they refer to the "aspect" button on the remote (which the S2 doesn't have), so the remote may be different for at least that button.

With two Tivos in the room, you'll probably need to set up the 1/2 switch (I had to do that in a room with both a S3 and a S2 side by side).

15. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    TiVotion,
    Actually that is the second time I've heard that story here in Tampa, so it seems they do need help over there. Not sure how I got so lucky, everything went fine.

16. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it's been comical with Verizon and their appointments for me. I'm more patient than most. I don't get mad or call them and scream, which they're probably grateful for. But so far, they missed my install appointment due to an order processing error, and missed the cablecard appointment due to an order processing error. The first situation they fixed, the 2nd one they haven't. I've been on hold countless times over the past few days - many times they say "I'll put you on hold and be right back", then I remain in queue forever.

The latest comedy is I have to wait for a trouble ticket to process to "fix" the original appointment - I can't get anyone to just make a NEW appointment! The commitment date for the trouble ticket was 7/31 at 7:15pm. That time came and went, still no call back from Verizon.

At one point, I explained my situation to one of the reps, telling her I needed two cablecards, and she said, "what is that?". Ugh.

On the upside, two different Verizon reps praised the TiVo product on the phone - one said "you can't be TiVo for functionality", the other was very interested and I basically did a sell job on him. Funny stuff, me "selling" TiVo to Verizon FIOS reps.