New Tivo Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by eherbst, Mar 14, 2018.

1. eherbst

eherbst New Member

Mar 10, 2018

Advertisements

I just purchased a new Tivo Bolt Vox. I do not like the new Tivo Experience. Anyway to move mine back in time? Or is there someway to get the Home screen less cluttered and confusing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. eherbst

eherbst New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Thanks. I’ll leave it alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

That depends. :cool:

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See: Search | TiVoCommunity Forum

Basically... the code name for TiVo’s new UI experience. (aka gen4, New TiVo Experience, TiVo Experience 4, TE4, version 21.*)

7. carterblumeyer

carterblumeyer Member

Nov 9, 2003
    I Believe it still needs lots of work to get the core TiVo features and functions missing from the old UI to keep the "TiVo Difference" from the standard cable company box
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

8. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I just saw the video below from TiVo and after viewing I'm glad my TiVo's are too old to have Hydra. I'm not a fan of the boxes trying to predict my viewing habits and prefer doing things myself. One of the first things I do when getting a new (or refurbished) TiVo is to turn off suggestions.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m speculating but I suspect part of the driving force behind the prediction approach is that TiVo can use it to insert sponsored results, much like search engines do. When I think about it, I’m annoyed that TiVo, a device we use to avoid commercials, forces advertising on us in so many ways without any ability to opt-out.

pldoolittle and Tony_T like this.
  10. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You can opt out. It's called selling the box and using something else.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last week I had "pause ads" for Hulu. In fairness, the instructions to kill the ad were on the screen. Also, I don't know of any TiVo ad that slows me down.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Wait... what?!? I agreed to Lifetime service with TiVo. Are you telling me I'm not obligated to keep using these boxes and won't be hit with a penalty if I get rid of them?!? Why had no one told me this before...!!?!

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, Handmaid's Tale is being pushed this week on our boxes.

As for slowing down... having to hit the Down arrow to hide the pause ad effectively slows one down; having sponsored content inserted in the Discovery bar requires time to visually/mentally process; TiVo continuing to push the Discovery bar and predictive widgets as "personalization," rather than actually implementing personalization (i.e. user profiles) results in me having to wade through all content saved or bookmarked on the box rather than just the content in which I'm interested. YMMV; and I'm totally cool with that. (Meaning, the earlier comment wasn't that big of a complaint, and here endeth my participation in this sidebar.)