new TiVo experience won't show device - transfer from computer desktop plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Papzi, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Papzi

Papzi New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I purchased the VOX for the Bolt and updated to the new tivo experience! Yeah! Now, I am not able to find my TiVo Desktop Plus on the bolt. Boo! My desktop sees the Tivo and I am able to transfer to the desktop, but the TiVo Bolt only shows "Devices" but not showing anything. The TiVo only shows "Devices" when using Beacon, not Bonjour. Before the new tivo experience, I would see my desktop on the Now Playing menu. Now, nothing.

Any fixes for this issue? How do I transfer my recording to the TiVo? PyTivo doesn't work either now.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can not transfer recordings from a computer to a TiVo running Hydra. No direct work around, you can still move files from the TiVo to your computer with TiVo Desktop, PYTiVo, or kmttg. kmttg can also decrypt them so that you can stream them back to your TiVo from your computer using Plex. You setup the Plex server on your computer and use the Plex app on your TiVo.

3. Papzi

Papzi New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Okay... I am trying out Plex. Thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestion to allow .tivo recordings to be viewed on Plex, or do I need to convert everything? MPEG4 or .H264, which is best?

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Jusy FYI pyTivo Desktop also has decrypt option.

foghorn2 and atmuscarella like this.
  5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Right, you'd figure Plex would be able to decrypt and stream tivo files, but NO!

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    kmttg has it which serves a similar purpose as pyTiVo Desktop. But Plex is nothing like pyTiVo Desktop or kmttg. So I wouldn't expect it to have TiVo decryption.

And besides with kmttg the entire process can be automated with no intervention from the user.

So kmttg decrypts it automatically and puts the resulting file in a folder. Then Plex automatically scans that folder and associates the metadata for it.

So then when you view it from a device running Plex, all the shows are organized by episode name, number, and season. With a description of each episode. As well as info about the resolution, audio format, and number of audio channels. As well as cover art, poster art, and theme music for each show that plays when viewing the episode/season list for each show.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018