"New TiVO Experience upgrade" has my Bolt cycling on/off. How long should this take?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by fis, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dec 8, 2018 #1 of 10
    fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017

Advertisements

I was skeptical about whether the new interface would be an improvement, so I waited a looooong time before finally caving to the prompts and accepting the option to "upgrade my TiVO experience." I expected it to take a long time and to cycle my Bolt on and off, but it has now been turning on and off by itself for a couple of hours. I haven't touched it -- just letting it do its thing -- but I'm starting to get worried. It doesn't seem to be doing much EXCEPT turning on and off.

Advice?

2. Dec 8, 2018 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pull the plug, take a break, then plug it in. Best (if possible) to wait for green LED to be off when removing the power.

3. Dec 8, 2018 #3 of 10
    fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    OK. Tried that. Now more of the same. Started cycling on and off again.

4. Dec 9, 2018 #4 of 10
    fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Any other ideas? Should I file a ticket? Nobody else had this problem?

5. Dec 9, 2018 #5 of 10
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Better than filing a ticket, speak live with a TiVo tech., to save delay?

6. Dec 9, 2018 #6 of 10
    fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Yeah, shame I was away all Sunday. Now will need to deal with limited weekday hours, but that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Dec 9, 2018 #7 of 10
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Great if you can do it while in front of the box. I have this naïve hope that they walk you through what to do and it all gets fixed right then and there. Good luck! :handpointup: [I couldn't find a fingers-crossed emoji here]

fis likes this.
  8. fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Haha, yeah. That was naive. I wasted a bunch of time with the TiVO support person on the phone doing pointless things like unplugging the coax cable and plugging the Bolt directly into the wall instead of into my power conditioner. Of course none of that worked.

So get this: after my perfectly good, perfectly-functioning Bolt was corrupted by their upgrade process, they want to CHARGE ME for a replacement Bolt (a "renewed" model). I said no way. Not going to pay for it.

Waited on hold. Next offer: Half price ($80). I said no way. Not going to pay for it.

Waited longer. Next offer: $100 off ($50, which is about what these used models go for on eBay). I said now way, and how about a refund of my lifetime subscription fee?
    They said no.

I hung up. Called back. Finally got them to agree to a free replacement.

They don't make this easy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    kpeters59 likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I was going to reply to your original version of this post and voting yes, that you should continue pressing the matter, and further suggesting that you consider starting the informal mediation process with TiVo, to get supervisorial attention, when I saw your edit that you called back and got them to agree to a free box replacement.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Good for you--way pleased. A great way to start the weekend!

And so, what did the trick this time--anything special, or was it just CSR roulette? (And see: it wasn't a waste of your time in the end, just a painful step to have to go through.)

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. fis

fis Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Could be CSR roulette, but I think mainly I made it clear what had to happen.

Mikeguy likes this.