1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TiVo experience on a Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Lrscpa, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I had to pull my old Roamio out of retirement after my Bolt+ had its hard drive die after 14 months.

It has the old “blue” TiVo interface. Do I a) want the new “black” interface (I had it on the Bolt, and didn’t mind it) from a performance perspective, and b) if I do want it, how do I get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When you find out the secret, let us know. So far I've been told you have to return the TiVo and get a replacement. I don't have the "Get New Experience" app on my Roamio that shipped with TE4 and I rolled back to TE3.

3. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    the OP could do a hard drive swap and the tivo will re download the software needed and format the disk right???

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's how I lost Hydra. I got a 1TB Roamio OTA on BF. It had Hydra on it after the GS. It was good for six months. Then I downgraded, installed a new 3TB and copied back all my programs. But now I have no app to upgrade. I tried Twitter and email. One person said the send the box back. As if. Maybe with the next update. I'm patient. I feel bad for my Mini VOX since it has no host. :(

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    By black interface do you mean the new very graphical/icon driven Hydra UI or do you mean the change that was done earlier where the TiVo guy lost his color but the UI was still pretty much the same (all HD menus for the Roamio similar to the original Bolt gen3 UI)?

If you want Hydra, there should be a Get New Experience app on the Roamio. If it's the second case above, then the Roamio should update automatically with normal service connections.

Scott

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Look in the ‘Apps’ section of the main menu for the mentioned app.

Are you looking to replace the BOLT+’s hard drive?

7. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    The Roamio hadn't been used since July 2017, and had been "off line". I've looked in the Apps Section and forced several connections over the last two days and no "Get New Experience App".

And yes, I want a new hard drive for the Bolt+. I'd like to replace the 3TB with another of the same size, but based on the article in the Bolt Forum, they aren't easy to find for a reasonable $$. Weaknees sells an upgrade kit for $300, when Amazon sells external drives from WD, Toshiba, etc., for < $100. Saw on YouTube that others have cracked the case and used those drives, but I don't want to risk the $$ while waiting for an upgrade from TiVo.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think if you try to use the voice button from your Bolt remote on your Roamio (i.e. set the "Device number" to be the same one as your Roamio), then the Roamio will ask to update?

that's part of why I haven't used the remote I got at the Bolt party at Tivo a while ago.. I don't want my Tivo to be downgraded..
    (As I've said, I would give the new UI a *fair shot* of literally a few weeks, if I could easily downgrade WITHOUT losing shows..). When I saw it at the party, there was a lot I didn't like and some that seemed ok.. I don't need voice input generally though.