New Tivo bug that I'm experiencing.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aadam101, Aug 13, 2011.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I often have a routine where I will turn my TV on as I'm walking by it on my way to the kitchen to get something to eat. I use the actual button on the TV (not the remote or Tivo remote). After about a minute of the TV being turned on the Tivo video freezes. The only way to unfreeze it is to hit the pause button and then play again. This happens EVERY time I turn on my TV and just leave it alone.

If I turn on my TV and start to do something on the Tivo this doesn't happen. It only happens if I let it sit idle within the first minute.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's been happening since the last update.

2. 36446

36446 New Member

May 19, 2011
    using an HDMI? Try a component or composite cord and see if it still happens

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeah I am using HDMI. It's not really a big problem. Was just wondering if I'm the only one.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sounds like some kind of HDMI handshake issue. I would try a new HDMI cable first, to eliminate that. I have had a similar problem with my HTPC, sometimes it took a reboot to get the picture to work. Seems to have gone away at this point and I really don't know why (reset all the cables several times etc.) so who knows. I guess it is the hazards of using HDMI.

Good Luck,

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It may be an HDMI timing issue. Often when I turn on my Toshiba TV, I'll get a fraction of a second display of "HDMI not permitted" before the picture comes up. I've suspected a handshake issue. It doesn't require any intervention to correct, but it was disconcerting the first few times I saw it.