New TiVO Bolt - Wouldn't Recognize Cat 5 or Cat 6 Ethernet Cables - Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sugarprune, Jul 16, 2018.

1. sugarprune

sugarprune New Member

Jul 31, 2015
    UPDATE: Now my Ethernet isn't working at all on my new TiVO Bolt. I hooked up my old Roamio and it still works on Ethernet. Oh no!

My new TiVO Bolt wouldn't recognize my Cat5 Ethernet Cable I removed from my TiVO Roamio.

I tried two different Ethernet Cables (Cat5 and Cat6) and it wouldn't recognize those, either! I tested them in other devices and they worked fine.

I finally tried a "flat" style Cat6 Ethernet Cable and it WORKED and is connecting now.

I'm baffled because it shouldn't work with the flat cable if the port is bad. But if the port isn't bad, how could it not recognize the cable I used in my Roamio and the new Cat6 one I tested that I use with my laptop/etc?

This is really odd.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I had a similar problem where the round Cat6 cable would not transmit a signal to my Premiere but after trying a flat cable it worked. After looking at the specs the only differences I found were the flat cable had bare copper conductors with dual shielding by a high-density jacket encased with vinyl and maxed out at 250 MHz while the round cable supported 550 MHz. But it seems your flat cable is now no longer working? Did you repeat "change network settings > modify ethernet settings" with the new cable?

3. sugarprune

sugarprune New Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I went in and did the change network settings and the flat cable works! The two round ones do not so that must be it.

Now if Comcast can get my CableCard paired I will be ready to get my Minis back online!