New TiVo Bolt OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by davezatz, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Sep 27, 2018 #1 of 556
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

Advertisements

New TiVo Bolt OTA looks to have popped up on Amazon a few days ago. Assuming the pencilled in price sticks, service is most likely separate, unlike the Roamio OTA most of the time, but these hardware specs are obviously way better - including built-in outbound streaming AND voice remote. (also not black and white like the unreleased, first cut of this idea a few years back)

TiVo Bolt OTA

kpeters59, aaronwt, krkaufman and 2 others like this.
  2. Sep 27, 2018 #2 of 556
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    TiVo OTA service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at 6.99/mo. with a 1-Year commitment, or an Annual service plan at 69.99/year. An All-In service plan is also available for a one-time, single payment of 249.99.

jth tv likes this.
  3. Sep 27, 2018 #3 of 556
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    At $500 all in, this makes it pretty much a non-starter in that segment. With the new competition in the field, one would think Tivo could do better. Then again, they can always discount the sub. Tivo's biggest impediment to acceptance has always been the monthly subscription cost. They need to do away with that pricing model, price it as all in and then be competitive in the marketplace. Tivo's time to be even relevant is dwindling, especially with its lackluster streaming support.

mefferso, Rob75, slowbiscuit and 3 others like this.
  4. Sep 27, 2018 #4 of 556
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So I wonder if this really does indicate that the Roamio OTA is gone now as someone else was thinking since it had been out of stock on TiVo's web page.

Scott

5. Sep 27, 2018 #5 of 556
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN

Advertisements

Interesting that, on the TiVo web page describing the Bolt OTA, the link ("The antenna-ready TiVo BOLT OTA is ready for you. Get yours today here.") goes to a page that only has the Roamio OTA...

6. Sep 27, 2018 #6 of 556
    fredi

fredi Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    OTA is TiVo's future considering the demise of cablecards. A Roamio OTA is $399.99 so $100 for a Bolt that does so much more is worth it. I hope the OTA only tuner will be better than the current tuner in the Bolt. My TiVo HD can pick up 65 channels while my Bolts only get 51 channels. Even my Dish Network tuner gets 60 channels. If they keep the same tuner perhaps they can at least open it up to ClearQAM cable channels and find a way to record the live streams.

7. Sep 27, 2018 #7 of 556
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The "Aereo Edition" lives!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    dlfl, aaronwt and davezatz like this.
  8. Sep 27, 2018 #8 of 556
    PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm seriously considering one. Has TiVo improved using apps like Plex? I've tried it on my Roamio and it always seemed clunky, as opposed to using an Apple TV, Roku, or Nvidia Shield.

9. Sep 27, 2018 #9 of 556
    OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Interesting timing considering the Amazon box was announced exactly one week ago & the 4-tuner box is $280 "all in." ($310 for an apples-to-apples comparison since the amazon box requires at least one fire stick).

It looks better against a comparable Tablo setup. That's around $330 ($200 four tuner box + $100 hard drive + $30 streaming device) and their service charge is $5/$50/$150 (monthly/yearly/lifetime). I think TiVo's a much better one-box solution, but the Mini Vox's are still outrageously expensive for extending that to multiple TVs. Tivo's app situation both on the boxes themselves and for streaming to other devices is also terrible.

tim1724, BryanSD and aristoBrat like this.
  10. Sep 27, 2018 #10 of 556
    pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    I'm not looking to pick up another Bolt, but I'll ask: is this just a Bolt VOX with the CC bracket deleted? There are varying assessments around here about the quality of the Bolt's tuner.

11. Sep 27, 2018 #11 of 556
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Most likely. Nothing new has passed through the FCC so this is probably the same hardware as the unreleased OTA Bolt from 2015, which did pass through.

tim1724 and Mikeguy like this.
  12. Sep 27, 2018 #12 of 556
    TiVo_Ted

TiVo_Ted Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Hi guys, sorry I couldn't give TC a heads-up on this one. Since it was going out as a press release and we're a public company, some things are frowned upon. I'm going to jump in and respond to a few of the comments/questions you might have.

rdrrepair, tim1724, wish_bgr and 13 others like this.
  13. Sep 27, 2018 #13 of 556
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They missed the mark on pricing. They also don't have apps like Tablo and Recast (within Amazon's ecosystem anyway), so you still have to buy Minis for every room, which gets pricey quick. I'm not getting rid of my Roamio OTA, but this is a tough sell against the competitors in this market space. Also, the Bolt's OTA tuner isn't even as good as the Roamio OTA's, which is really a let-down. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing that a Bolt does that a Roamio doesn't already do, as other streaming boxes handle 4k.

This seems not entirely unexpected, and not exciting at the same time. They really should have just kept making the Roamio OTA and tried to get it down to $349 or $299. If they want to go all-in on the Bolt and the outbound streaming part of it, then they need Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, and FireTV apps to stream to.

mefferso, Keith Plucker and Andrew_S like this.
  14. Sep 27, 2018 #14 of 556
    TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    I agree that this keeps TiVo priced at the high end of the market, but not like a BOLT VOX 1TB with AIP. When used with antenna, that would have been $850. Now, we're at $499 all-in. A 4-tuner Tablo with a Roku Ultra, 1TB WD drive and LT service would still set you back $460 and you've got a DIY system with a HDD that is not rated for constant AV use. Our goal is to deliver a single, unified system that has the look, feel and reliability of a Pay TV set-top box. That's not a cheap undertaking.

15. Sep 27, 2018 #15 of 556
    TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    Roamio OTA is gone. TiVo is out-of-stock, Amazon is out-of-stock. There are a couple of hundred of them left at Best Buy stores and I think WeaKnees has a few. TiVo also have factory renewed Roamio OTA here for #349.99 - | TiVo but they do not come with the VOX Remote.

tim1724, HerronScott, Lurker1 and 3 others like this.
  16. Sep 27, 2018 #16 of 556
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    To add to my previous post, the TiVo model of a central TiVo and Minis is only going to appeal to the geekiest amongst us who really care about transport controls and not re-encoding video from it's native MPEG-2. Everyone else wants something that they can stream to their other boxes that they already have wirelessly. Also, MoCA for some bizarre reason causes people's brains to explode, even though it's quite simply in reality, so a system like Tablo that's wireless is much simpler for most people to set up.

Lastly, launching a new-ish product with ATSC 1.0 at this point seems like throwing something into obsolescence. TiVo needs to get on ATSC 3.0, and as soon as broadcasts are up, push something out that can handle ATSC 3.0, unless the plan is for the Bolts to have a USB add-on ATSC 3.0 tuner since they already can decode HEVC, but I highly doubt that knowing TiVo.

17. Sep 27, 2018 #17 of 556
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The Refurb Roamio OTA is a much better deal. When comparing to Tablo, you have to look at the per TV cost. That's fine for a single TV household, but if you have two or three TVs, for someone new to the TiVo ecosystem, they have to buy TiVo Minis for every TV, versus using streaming devices that they already have with Tablo. I won't compromise on video quality, so I have no interest in something that re-encodes MPEG-2 into MPEG-4, but for most people, the re-encoded MPEG-4 that Tablo puts out is perfectly adequate, and they can stream it wirelessly on virtually anything.

The Bolt OTA is going against the all-wireless, all-IP trend. While it is all-IP within the home, it's not wireless in a world that has moved to everything except the cable or fiber connection coming into the house being wireless, and we're a few years out from many areas not even needing wires for that with Verizon's wideband 5G (a few areas will have that in a few days).

18. Sep 27, 2018 #18 of 556
    TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    The processor in BOLT is 7x the performance of Roamio. The RAM in BOLT is 3x the RAM in Roamio. Apps will feel much more snappy and we try to hold them in memory to reduce load-time for apps you visit regularly.

19. Sep 27, 2018 #19 of 556
    TiVo_Ted

Oct 3, 2000
    Pleasanton,...
    We removed the CableCARD connector, MOCA networking and some supporting components. Otherwise, it's the same spec as a BOLT VOX. The Roamio OTA and BOLT OTA use the same tuner, and we have lab tested them against each other to ensure that the BOLT is as good a tuner as Roamio. I have seen some comments comparing things to Premiere, but that was a completely different tuner architecture. These new silicon tuners are a bit more sensitive to lower strength stations. Some people will benefit from using an amplifier with their antenna to bump up the signal a bit.

Bigg, krkaufman, wish_bgr and 8 others like this.
  20. Sep 27, 2018 #20 of 556
    PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems counter-intuitive, but are there plans for a CBS All-Access app? CBS is the one channel I can't pick up without installing a roof antenna. I'm trying to keep it simple, and would love to be able to have one device to handle everything.

dgoner and tim1724 like this.