New Tivo arrives tomorrow, couple of questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by archer75, Apr 14, 2011.

1. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    So my new Tivo Premiere XL arrives tomorrow from woot with the $12.99/month subscription.
    Does it matter if I activate it by phone or online?
    Also I see it has a one year contract but i'd actually like to be able to connect it to my antenna and test it first to see if it's even going to work before I commit to a contract. Is that possible?

2. Lazlo123

Lazlo123 New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    If I remember correctly, you can get it setup before you activate it and take it for a test drive. it will function for a few days(ish?). It will keep reminding you to activate and eventually won't do anything unless you do. It shouldn't matter if you activate online or over the phone.

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Don't activate it until you've spent a few days playing with it. It should be fully featured for the first week of service.

EDIT: Ooops... activate but don't enter into a contract until you're ready... you have 30 days to decide.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No Tivo is fully featured without a subscription. There's a lot you can't do without a MAK and having a subscription is the only way to have one.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    You are allowed to cancel within 30 days.

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You're right of course. What I wanted to say was don't enter into a subscription until you are satisfied all is working. Per LifeIsABeach, that's 30 days before you have to commit.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I would set it up with OTA and start recording a lot of shows during the first week to put the Tivo through its paces before you even sign up for a subscription

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    If I bought a Tivo today, I'd go through the posts here from other Premier owners to see what problems they've had, and see if I can duplicate them before the end of the 30 day return period.

9. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    So I have the tivo hooked up and it's downloading updates so I haven't actually been able to use it.

The hard drive is kinda noise. And I don't mean in the way a hard drive is normally noisey. I can hear the arm on this thing working. I've never heard a hard drive sound like that before.

But still waiting for the updates to complete before I can even see what channels it picked up.

10. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    I have not activated it yet but I can still view TV and record shows.

There is one channel I care about that I cannot tune in reliably. Another one i'd like to have access to but it's not a big deal if I don't get it.

I can tune in the rest but time will tell if it's reliable.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OTA or cable? Probably doesn't matter for the next question.. but are you getting a reliable signal quality on that channel? Somewhere in the menus you can get the signal quality for a channel.

12. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    it's antenna. And no, the signal is too weak. I can pull that channel down on my dish box OTA but not on the tivo.

13. archer75

archer75 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gresham, OR
    Well the good news is I still haven't had to activate it and almost everything works. If I switch to the HD menus then nothing works without activation. But with the SD menus everything aside from netflix and pandora seems to work.

14. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    FWIW, the HDUI is largely dependent upon a network connection. If that's not 24/7, you'll have navigation issues and GROD persistence.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    subscription or lifetime has the same money back within 30 days. There is no particular reason to wait on subscribing.

16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If the Tivo fails during the 7 day trial period you don't have to go through the hassle of changing the TSN on your account since you haven't activated it. Why not use the 7 days of free service to check for premature hardware failure?