New Tivo and old Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mazelady, May 24, 2011.

1. mazelady

mazelady New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    I have two Series II Tivos and want to upgrade to the Premiere.

I was wondering if I could keep my old Tivos and put them in guest bedrooms that don't have cable tv access and transfer shows from the Premiere.

Do the old Tivos have to be subscribed and pay a monthly fee in order to transfer shows from the Premiere? I don't want to record shows from cable since I don't have cable access in there. I just want to make shows available to my guests when they visit.

Possible?

MM

2. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yes

3. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The Series II TiVos won't be able to display any HD recordings made on the Premieres. MRV requires subscriptions. However, TiVo does appear to be moving towards supporting streaming. Whether that will help in your case or not, may be problematic.

4. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    All evidence so far suggests that streaming will only be available between Premiere boxes. Series 3 boxes probably won't be able to stream, let alone Series 2.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    You would need to have a subscription - without it, MRV won't work at all, even for any analog recordings from the Premiere, which would be all you could transfer anyway - and if you have a Premiere who wants to record old analog?! :)

Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's how it goes. You don't mention what sub rate the old ones are on - there are some folks in your situation who have older plans who do exactly what you're thinking of, keep an old box around just for MRV. Then again, if you have two of them and use them infrequently, it might not make much sense. You could at least think about trying to run a cable wire in there if you're going to sub them, I would say! :D