New Star Trek Deep Space Nine documentary: What We Left Behind

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Pokemon_Dad, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    DS9 was not for everyone, but over twenty years after the last episode it has more fans than ever.

As an Indiegogo backer, I've enjoyed an early look at this new documentary. It's great.

Trailer:

See also their "sizzle reel" video on the Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo...

In theaters one night only, May 13th:
    https://www.fathomevents.com/events/w...

TiVo:
    we can still stream the entire 1993-99 series via Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and other sources, and the show periodically comes around on live TV as well (or at least it does here in Silicon Valley...).

Discs and streaming will be available after the premier I'm sure.

The fundraising campaign for the documentary pulled in $647,891 from 9,552 backers. Many of us made additional contributions when asked to support upgrading the digitization of DS9 film clips to HD.

My "perks" include the Blu-ray/DVD set, plus T-shirts portraying Kira in a Che Guevara-type pose, Quark with the Rules of Acquisition, and good old Garak explaining why he is but a "simple tailor".

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Saturn_V, Mikeguy, cwerdna and 2 others like this.
  2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    We've got our tickets. Looking forward to it. My wife and I are just finishing up on watching Voyager.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, if my schedule works out, I'll definitely try and get to see this in the theater. DS9 still remains my favorite Star Trek series.

redrouteone and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  4. May 1, 2019 #4 of 66
    kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    To me DS9 ran hot and cold, but especially in later seasons it really hit its stride. In the Pale Moonlight remains my favorite single Trek episode across any of the series I've seen, and Garak one of my favorite characters.

I'll have to search this one out.

5. May 1, 2019 #5 of 66
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've always thought that DS9 was the best post-TOS Star Trek series. The characters seemed more like real "people" than the more popular ST:TNG.

Rob Helmerichs and Pokemon_Dad like this.
  6. May 1, 2019 #6 of 66
    Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed, I could never get used to TNG. Too sweet and self-righteously PC for me.

Kind of like root beer! But the DS9 writers, they got it.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  7. May 1, 2019 #7 of 66
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    A shame that the HD footage from this documentary is probably the *only* HD footage of DS9 we'll see. :(

8. May 1, 2019 #8 of 66
    Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It was apparently a lot of work to prepare even this much. But the amazing thing I learned from the additional campaign to fund that work is that the original is on actual film! So there is hope.

9. May 1, 2019 #9 of 66
    gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I always felt the first couple of seasons were ok, but seasons 4-7 were excellent. Part of that to me was there was far more integrated storyline than just individual episodes that didn't really feel connected, and there was a true sense of purpose.

While DS9 might be on film, my guess is the effects would be where conversion to HD would be an issue. I'm not sure there'd really be enough return on the investment it would take to make it worth doing unfortunately.

10. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed! And yet when they started making multipart episodes and long story arcs, they initially got pushback from executives. That's mentioned in the documentary.

The documentary includes a high-def space battle scene, and it looks great. As DVDs are fading away, if they want to produce a Blu-ray or maintain longevity in streaming then at some point they're going to have to consider opening up those cans again.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    All Star Trek series up through most of Enterprise were filmed using Panavision 35mm cameras. That's not the problem. That, in fact, is the easy part.

The problems:
    1) TNG, DS9, and Voyager would have all been edited in a computer in standard definition, then out to a standard definition video tape. This means that to reproduce an episode in HD or better, they'd have to scan all the film, then actually reproduce all the same cuts the editor would have made originally. This is extremely time and therefore cost intensive.
    2) For TNG, CBS Studios actually did #1. The problem is that they took a considerable financial loss on the effort. They expected that the home video revenue would be significantly higher than it was. This alone makes a DS9 or Voyager HD release highly questionable.
    3) Compounding the problem, DS9 made extensive use of what was then state of the art CGI... all of which was rendered to SD quality. All of that would have to be re-rendered into HD, then re-inserted into the episodes. And, I believe at least one of the companies that did the CGI for Paramount has now gone out of business.

Either way, the chances of a HD DS9 or Voyager are very, very low. :(

Here's a long, detailed interview that talks about all of the above:
    Why Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get the HD Remaster They Deserve | TREKNEWS.NET

12. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Oh, that's so sad. I get it now. DS9 being less popular than TNG, and even TNG possibly losing money on the HD conversion, a full remastering is very very unlikely.

No wonder they had to launch a separate campaign just to expand the doc's HD content from five to twenty minutes:

I think the final remastered footage includes the "Sacrifice of Angels" battle scene mentioned in the article. Perhaps the only five minutes of HD they had before asking for help was the short demo done by others during the TNG remastering.

Anyway, I'm proud to have been a "Hi-Def Hero" for this doc, and the results are spectacular. Also: there's interesting anecdote in that article about Seth MacFarlane hosting a writers' roundtable for the TNG Blu-ray special features, at no charge just because he's such a raging fan. Perhaps his ideas for Orville began then. But that's another thread.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
  14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I wish this doc were on TV so I could watch in quickmode (or faster).

(yeah I saw the mention of disc release)

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I saw a Fandango ad at one of the movies I saw this weekend.

since it's a fathom event and I'm spoiled by cheap/free tickets via A list, and they don't work for fathomevents shows, I'll probably skip this in the theater. If it's later on fandangonow or something, I'll watch it.

Edit: I corrected "they don't work for fandango" to "they don't work for fathomevents shows".

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  16. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah but you'll miss geeking out over it with other fans in the theater!

lalouque likes this.
  17. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

One night only! Monday, May 13th:

cwerdna and Saturn_V like this.
  18. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    My showing's nearing capacity, and the theatre added a second screen. Almost tempted to refund the first seats and get better seats at the second screen. But I'll miss out on the denser geekier audience.

But I need to get a Niners Ballcap to show super-DS9 geek color. Or a Defiant patch to go Ultra.
    [​IMG]

cwerdna, lalouque and Pokemon_Dad like this.