New Sony TV’s and TiVo remote - work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tvmaster2, Apr 7, 2021 at 11:55 AM.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006

Advertisements

I’m looking at a new, Sony TV which is Android based, apps, etc.
    KD55X750H
    I read from a disgruntled user that the Sony remote was Bluetooth based, so universal remotes such as a TiVo remote would not work.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this? I’d be amazed if Sony were that stupid.

However, this is the only info from Sony’s site I could find, and it points to IR not being supported:
    I Can't Operate My Old TV with the Remote from a New Android TV | Sony USA

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM
  2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    The latest Logitech remotes can do bluetooth devices also.

3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
  4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have not seen any evidence of this. Even Sonys that may come with a bluetooth remote still have an IR receiver and still work with the same IR codes they used 30 years ago.

More proof:
    - Look up your model here and you'll see that it's still compatible with IR remotes: Device Compatibility
    - See the JP1 IR codes for your model TV: JP1 Remotes :: File Section (must log in to actually download)
    - See the pronto hex IR codes for your TV from a database lookup on the Global Cache site: Global Caché Control Tower

I have proven many disgruntled Sony TV users wrong on this forum over the past few years. The last one had his sound bar blocking the IR window on the TV.

Are you having issues?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    tvmaster2 and dianebrat like this.
  5. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks - I poked around the manuals online and didn't find that. TiVo lives another day?

6. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    I have several Logitech's and a Harmony Hub, but so far haven't been able to make an Amazon Firestick work, as it's Bluetooth. What Logitech's are you using?

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    All Harmony Hub products work with Firestick over bluetooth:

Harmony and Amazon Fire TV

If you can't get it to work, you can always buy an Inteset IReTV IR dongle to plug into your stick.

8. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Do not recall the model number, but I have two different Harmony remotes with hub and they both work with an Firestick and an TiVo 4k Streamer. It is a pain to find the menu option to get the remote to pair with the streamer, but I found it and it does work very well. A google search is your best bet. I do not recall of the top of my head....

tvmaster2 likes this.
  9. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I have two Sony TVs from the 2020 lineup, an x800h any an x900h. Both work with TiVo remotes with no problem. I can also use the TV remote to operate the TiVo.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

tvmaster2 likes this.