New software to fix 6.3e

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by starbuck, Sep 18, 2007.

1. starbuck

starbuck New Member

Jan 24, 2003

Advertisements

Anyone know if we'll get an update soon to fix all the issues with 6.3e?

Or will we have to wait until early 2008 when we get the software with the enhanced features as DirecTV recently announced?

I see posts reporting all kinds of problems that are possibly linked to 6.3e:

• Locked-up or frozen units
    • Rebooting
    • Slowness
    • Unable to record from Suggestions (if suggestion is for local channel)

2. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    DirecTV says there are no issues with 6.3e fix, hence there will be no updates. Numerous people have called in with problems and the reply is always that they do not know about any issues

We may get a fix or we may not, DirecTV will not let us know.

DirecTV will only inform us of updates that add features.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Unless one of us works for Directv, how would we know? Of course how many ppl would be writing in saying 'my 6.3 is rock solid and works flawlessly?'

4. RadioDoc

RadioDoc New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Delafield, WI
    I'll say it:

My 6.3 is rock solid and works flawlessly!

Actually, it does. I've been happy.

5. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005

Advertisements

No major problem with 6.3e here.

6. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Same here. For a while guides opened a little slowly, but all seems fine now.

Two units. Stock (unhacked and unmodified).

I know that this is absolute heresy on this forum, but, unlike personal computers, these are "black boxes." You cannot expect Directv to anticipate your hacks and hardware modifications, including replaced hard drives.

The unit is not meant to be user modified. Since it is your property, you can do as you please with it, but you only have yourself to blame when it fails to function, even at a later date.

Again, I know this is heresy and I can now expect to be flamed, but it is also true.

And, yes, Starbuck, I see from earlier postings that your units are "stock," but I don't see you complaining about any crashing or re-starting yourself.

You may be having a problem with "suggestions." I have had "suggestions" turned off for years, so I know little about it. It seems possible that the update re-set "suggestions" and it has to "learn" again. If so, you can quickly reteach it by using thumbs up and down.

7. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    I did :) (Called in) The rep said thats great,now please clear the line as we are overrun with problem calls :D Just kidding :)

8. marktd

marktd New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I have two completely stock R10's and both are now, since 6.3e, nearly unusably slow, and both have locked up. I have no modified TiVos. Never have. The problems are so annoying that I dread doing things like changing channels or scrolling trough the guide because the TiVos are now so unresponsive.

As for the suggestions, I don't use them either, but your supposition is completely wrong. There is a problem there too and it has nothing to do with re-learning.

Something is wrong with 6.3e. Really wrong.

Mark

9. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Then why doesn't it affect all units?

10. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Why is everyone complaining about Diirectv. It clearly states in the copyright notice that all programming is the responsibility of TiVo which does all the programming. Directv simply distributes TiVo's code. they do not write it otherwise the notice would say portions of the code copyrighted by Directv which it does not. If there is a problem with the code it should be directed to TiVo who is responsible for the code not to Directv who simply has a contract with TiVo to keep the code current.

11. Irishsox1

Irishsox1 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I have an unhacked SD-40 and since 6.3e, I can't connect to the Tivo service at all. Nothing changed, my phone line works. This is the only update that has ever caused me problems. The problem is that I won't be able to connect to fix this problem.

12. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    You shoulld be contacting TiVo because they are responsible for the software. if they get enough calls they will fix the problem. Note: TiVo no longer accepts customer support Emails. Maybe they know there is a problem and are using this as a bargining ploy with Directv.

13. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Mine is a stock R10, it has frozen twice since the update. Has gone a couple days without freezing. No longer can connect to the phone numbers.

14. Ingavar

Ingavar New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Portland, OR
    both of them have been rebooting and are slow on the guide. I have no hacks what-so-ever on them. :eek:

Anyone have the contact info for Tivo concerning this problem? :confused: Maybe even Directv?

15. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You should be contacting DirecTV, not TiVo. If you call TiVo they will just tell you to call DirecTV. While it is true that TiVo writes the software, they do so as a subcontractor to DirecTV and your relationship is with DirecTV, not TiVo.

All I can suggest is that you call DirecTV and report the problem. Eventually someone will take notice, despite what the CSRs say.

I can't offer any personal view of this as my HR10 is still at 6.3c and I don't plan on changing that.

16. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Do not call TiVo for a problem relating to a DirecTivo. These units are completely under DirecTV's control and TiVo is not allowed to support these units. TiVo writes the software but only under the direction of DirecTV. DirecTV is responsible for all service and support.

17. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Do you receive your local ABC affiliate over the air?

18. RadioDoc

RadioDoc New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Delafield, WI
    Yes I do...

19. Ingavar

Ingavar New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Portland, OR
    :D I'll call Directv. :mad:

20. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I don't have the update and want it. Would a call to DirecTV help anything? Is there and inside telephone number anyone knows about or some key phrase you have to use to get to the right person that knows what you are talking about? I don't think my model is scheduled to get it since it has not appeared in the MFS. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

I think the people with problems all have bad hard disks. The issue has come up every time there is an upgrade or any sort or nature. The Tivo is on 24-7 and your hard disc is going to last 3-5 years probably. A bad drive may show up even earlier and obviously the Tivo is highly sensitive to bad drives and read/write errors.

Someone should write a Tivo utility that does a thorough scandisc and repairs bad areas of the drives and checks the integrity of the file structure. Something like the old CHKDSK /F utility from DOS. I'm sure such a utility exists, but can't be run under the Tivo/Linux O/S.