New Software- Time for an Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by larrs, Jan 24, 2012.

1. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I am getting frustrated with scheduling conflicts on my main Premiere and since two of my units are S3 (as we are recording more network stuff than ever), I am considering a full redo of my DVR situation. I am considering replacing my two S3s with a Premiere and an Elite so I can then stream rather than transfer. I might add that all my Tivos are hard wired.

With the new software, is this the right time to pony up $ to upgrade to the 4 tuners?

2. forum1

forum1 TiVo user since 2000

May 24, 2011
    Since you already have multiple Premieres and are considering buying additional Series 4 units I will assume that you have been satisfied with your Series 4 experience thus far. If that is the case, why not pull the trigger? The proposed setup you described makes perfect sense for the reasons you cited. Are there any specific concerns you have other than the monetary hit?

3. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Looks like there are a few bugs in the Elite that are not in the Premiere. I was wondering if that is all fixed in the Elite by the new software. I am also interested in the feeling of the "value" of the 4 tuners versus the 2 in the Premiere compared to the cost.

2 Premieres+2 lifetime subs= $1000 (MSD)
    1 Elite+ 1 Lifetime sub= $900 (MSD)

I get a lot more recording capacity with the Elite, but I wonder what the long term value would be if I needed to sell them? Would the Elite with lifetime bring that much more than the Premiere on the used market?

All part of the decision process.

4. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I replaced two S3s with an Elite and am delighted with the result. Some of the benefits:
    1. About 23 watts power versus about 80 on two S3s. In California, this saves me about $13/month.

2. Ability to use one RF remote on all activity versus requiring two remotes in the past.

3. Effectively never having to worry about running out of tuners and having to switch to the other TiVo.

4. A significent increase in effective disk space. I used to run out on one while having space on the other.

5. Much faster MRV transfers to another room plus streaming support for all recordings.

6. Less space and fewer wires cluttering things up.

7. Better response times (I still use primarily the standard interface but am considering switching to the HDUI).

8. Software which is still being improved with new releases and function. For example, Comcast On Demand apparently will be available shortly.

9. One less cable card to pay for.

10. Made two S3s with lifetime available for me to give to my kids.

5. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Just to complicate further...if you buy into new, quality aftermarket upgraded Premieres (2TB), you're looking at $650/ea with MSD lifetime.

Looking at a future resale market is pretty much a (losing?) crap shoot imo. Been there and lost in that thought line more than once in the last 11 years.