New Slings should be great for HD Tivos

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gtadell, Sep 28, 2006.

1. gtadell

gtadell New Member

Oct 20, 2003

Advertisements

The new SlingBox Pro has 3 sets of inputs plus a connector for an HD adapter. It will allow you to pass through your component video connection so that you can Sling your HD Tivo without having to turn down the resolution blindly over the sling. It down converts the signal and frames it for 4:3, but at least you don't have to do that yourself.
    http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slingboxpro.html

2. ravedog

ravedog New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    lv.nv.us.na....
    drool!

Now, about that Mac support....

3. heathramos

heathramos New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    So...it just makes it so you don't have to change it to 480i or is the picture quality better as well?

4. Brewer4

Brewer4 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Connecticut
    Supposed to be 400% more bandwidth which means better picture which means more like DVD quality. Not bad.

5. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...

Advertisements

gtadell, Can you tell me what your are actually using your slingbox to do or plan to do? This is one of the few electronic devices that I dont have and I am trying to figure out what I missing. Thanks in advance.

6. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I don't have one of these either, but I am intrigued by the tech. I could see those people that have to travel for business, this would allow them to stay connected with their DVR while away from home. If I got one, I'd just nd up watching Tivo at work (not a good idea, IMO). So far I have avoided buying one.

7. alert5

alert5 New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm not gtadell, but the slingbox is a very nifty toy. Most folks probably use it while traveling. You can connect to your TiVo from anywhere and control it as though you were home. You can do this with a laptop or mobile device that has the slingbox software on it. You just need an internet connection.

When I'm not traveling, I use it as a PIP feed. I can be at computer working on anything and have slingbox playing anything I want in a side window.

8. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001
    I use mine in several ways:

1. Remote programming of the HD-Tivo. Especially for "events" such as the Shuttle launch that I may remember at the last minute.

2. Sometimes watch a show at my desk at work during lunch.

3. Make sure I can see the Redskins game if I'm out of town.

4. Watching at a computer in the house if the kids are watching something on the main tv (which has a SD DTivo as well which is used for all non-HD things).

All in all, a great box.

And even the original has pretty good image quality. And I don't see that changing much with the new box as far as remote viewing since bandwidth is limited (for me at least) by my cable upload speed.

9. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001

Screw Mac users. ;)

Give us Palm OS support.

10. gtadell

gtadell New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I have mine connected to both my SD Tivo and HD Tivo. I use the SD Tivo to watch shows while I am away from home or in my home office. I carry a laptop just about everywhere I travel and I have a wireless broadband card in it from Verizon. I can connect to the sling anywhere I can get a good cell signal in Verizon's EVDO network.

I use the HD Tivo connection to remotely program the unit. Since there is no remote programming feature on this unit, the sling makes it easy to program shows that I have forgotten. Currently, I don't have audio on this connection since the original sling only had one set of audio inputs. The new Sling Pro has multiple audio inputs so I plan to upgrade at some point.

11. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah the lack of multiple audio inputs on the original SLingbox is a bit of a limitation. Keep in mind however, that it does have a coax input that will include audio. I use that coax input for cable tv (since the original has a built-in tuner). But you could also use it as an input from any device that includes a coax output.

12. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    someone mentioned in another thread using their Sprint 6700 phone to watch tivo while they commute on the train in the morning. That to me would be pretty cool :)

13. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I looked at the website and there is also another unit there called the "AV" model. It appears it will do all of the same things, except for the native pass-through. Anybody concur, or have information about that unit. I noticed it was $70 cheaper - I think I can reset my box for that kind of price difference, but would like to hear what others think!

14. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001

When I looked briefly last night the AV box also doesn't appear to a have a built-in tuner. So, for example, you couldn't hook up a cable tv or antenna line and pull in all the unscrambled channels.

15. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    It seems that the "AV" unit is good for the HR10-250. It claims you can change channels/watch recoreded programs, etc. I don't have a cable box, so I don't think I'd be missing anything.

16. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Thanks for all the comments. Question: if you can watch HD (not SD) on your laptop or PC, then I guess you could also record it on the PC?

17. kcmurphy88

kcmurphy88 New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The picture is the same outside the local network (320x240). On the local network, the picture goes from 640x240 (original version) to 640x480. Note that this is regardless of the source. HD inputs are not transmitted as HD.

Note also that the A/V version ALSO is upped to 640x480.

Note also that DESPITE the HDMI-format plug on the back of the HD unit, it does not accept digital signals. It accepts only analog component (RGB) signalling over the HDMI There is an add-on ($) component-to-HDMI_format_plug adapter required to get even that.

Me, I'd suggest just getting a SD D*TiVo and using an original slingbox, or the AV version, using S-video.

18. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001
    With the more recent firmware, you can no longer record the Slingbox stream on the viewing PC because they now encrypt the stream. With the older firmware, the stream is not encrypted and there is a third-party program that will record it. I imagine the new units ship with firmware that encrypts.

19. bbodin

bbodin New Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Houston
    I read a review that said you could not record on your PC, though I don't know if that meant officially or if there was technically some way, but they just didn't provide software to do it.

Regardless, the quality wouldn't be as good as a hacked tivo/video export.