New Sky card

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by swarrans, Aug 15, 2009.

1. swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003

Advertisements

I'm getting a lot of "There is a technical problem" comments on Sky that requires a reboot recently. The reboot brings it back to a warning on Sky that all the cards are being replaced and that your old one won't work.
    My card is from when I used to subscribe to Sky but I haven't for years so it just works on the freesat channels - which is all I want really.

Question is - will my current card stop working (I guess the answer is yes) and do you think it is connected to the need to reboot? - which is happening every 2 days or so.

Simon

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    The card does not give you the Freesat channels, they are free anyway. It gives you the FTV channels, Five USA, Fiver and Sky 3.

Yes, but know one seems to know when. I am in the same situation with three FTV cards across two addresses.

No. Which receiver?

3. britcub

britcub Bear with a TiVo

Jan 19, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I've had the same problem. Just take your card out and the message stops appearing. If you really can't live without the Five channels and Sky 3, you can get a new card by paying £20 and calling the number here.

Don't know about your reboot issue though.

4. swarrans

swarrans New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Thanks chaps.
    Are the extra FTV channels only Five USA, Fiver and Sky 3 these days then? It used to be a lot more than that when I last looked. If it is I can live without them when the FTV card gets switched off.

You've confirmed what I suspected that the technical fault is not connected to the Sky card's numbered days. It has done this before and I think it was last summer so it could be a heat issue. I'll take the cover off and give it a vacuum and try to get it as much air as possible.

It's a Sony box

Simon

5. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...

Advertisements

And Five itself. Five is only free to air on Freesat boxes.

6. TerryN

TerryN TiVo Evangelist

Oct 9, 2001
    Surrey, UK
    My Sony box has been doing the same. It's started in this last month or so. Some people in the Digital Spy forums seem to think this could be due to a recent EPG update downloaded by the box by I can't really find any reliable evidence to back that up. (My set up had been stable for years and I wasn't monitoring the OS/EPG versions on the Sky box.)

7. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    Actually Five is available FTA through other channels on a Sky box. But in this context that is not much use to TiVo unless you have a SkyEye iTV.

So we are both correct.:)

8. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    i've still not had my new skycard they're supposedly sending out - yet everyone i know with sky has had theirs...

had 3 'failed' recordings on my skybox in the past week or so too :( (tho probably co-incidence... never had anything fail before though!)

9. Rue

Rue New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Oxfordshire, UK
    My Sony Sky box went bad around 15th Aug. -- it is stuck in standby. Possibly unrelated but the plastic area around the chip on the [old, not got a new] viewing card has discoloured through heat. Am I possibly an unlucky/unwitting beta tester for the new Sky EPG?

10. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    I've not had mine yet, either. It's taking a very long time to get all the cards replaced.

11. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    ah - at least i know my skycard hasn't gone missing in the post!

message has just popped up on TV:

12. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Two of my boxes have had new cards - only noticed the message on one of them.

The third hasn't had a message or card.

13. Leif_Davidsen

Leif_Davidsen Happy UK Tivoer

Jun 5, 2002
    a small...
    I just went on the sky website to find out the viewing card situation if you are not a sky subscriber - here is what you get there "If you do not subscribe to a Pay TV provider, but use a Sky viewing card to access free-to-air channels, you won't automatically receive a replacement card. However, over the next few months you'll receive a message on your TV screen with instructions on how you can obtain a new card."

14. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    I received my new card in the post, BUT I didn't get any messages about it being in the post before it arrived.

15. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    the message popped up again this morning... it's a right PITA if you're recording something on Tivo and it pops up halfway through!

16. a_tivo_noob

a_tivo_noob Member

Jan 1, 2004
    it transpires it's not all that bad after all, as the message popped up and ruined the whole of last nights big brother :D :D :D

moo-ha-ha-ha

17. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    Yes. For the first year in many my Tivo recorded ALL of the Le Mans 24 Hours in June (whilst we were away at the race).
    Got home to find that about half the recordings had the stupid banner across the screen... :mad:

18. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    The freesat from sky card is also handy if you want to use PIN based services (like parental access control).

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Are you sure it isn't because Sky has worked out you are in Sweden and so not allowed to have one strictly speaking.;):p

But I can report that my mother, who has a 21 month old Sky Pay Once Watch Forever install that was desubscribed after the 6 free months of Mix viewing, hasn't had her replacement card yet either, even though the Sky Pay Once Watch Forever terms and conditions clearly stated they would replace your viewing card for the first 5 years after install without charge if it became necessary to do so. But in any case knowing Sky as I do (i.e. why give a new free card to a customer paying no money unless they are aware of their rights and know how to complain) I'm confidently expecting to have to send an email to jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com and crsupport@bsksyb.com for the free replacement viewing card to be sent to her (as I bought the Sky Pay Once Watch Forever as a birthday present for I think I can legitimately claim a continuing interest).

I am a former Sky Month by Month (one of their least known subscription products) subscriber so I must my check my terms and conditions (I still have the leaflet) to see if I am also entitled to a free replacement card for the first five years after becoming a subscriber. Failing that I will resubscribe a couple of weeks before the Dakar rally (now in South America) in January next year to force them to send me a new card. Resubscribing for a month seems to me like a better deal financially than paying £20 for a Freesat card on its own.

20. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Pete, you're a bit behind the times with that reply...