New site for TiVo hacks and News, tivo-hacks.com

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cr33p, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 20
    cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Hey everyone I just wanted to announce a great new addition for all general and TiVo hacking enthusiasts!!! tivo-hacks.com
    We're aiming to be your top source for TiVo information, and the latest updates on TiVo hacking. With your help we'll be sure to have all the most up to date and older TiVo hacks. Come and check it out.

2. Sep 9, 2007 #2 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Will DirecTV TiVo users be able to get info there?

3. Sep 9, 2007 #3 of 20
    ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Too much advertising and too little content IMHO.

4. Sep 9, 2007 #4 of 20
    cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Yes they will be able too. The site is still in its infancy and we hope with other users help it will grow to be something very usefull to the community. We will be loading tutorials soon, and download pages for hacks. Stay tuned.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #5 of 20
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I don't see very many 'hacks' posted over there...

6. Sep 9, 2007 #6 of 20
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yup, so far, not ready for prime time ...

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 20
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Do we really need ANOTHER site like this? D e a l database.com Forums already have hacking discussion under control, and this forum covers normal users. Other sites have popped up - like TiVoTechies.com, which are lesser known but get some traffic. And there are sites that seem to have died, like TiVoToday.com. The net is littered with defunct TiVo-related sites.

It may seem like I'm down on this site since I run one myself, but over the years I've seen a lot of these sites pop up and fizzle. Right now it looks like a generic WordPress default blog. What's the hook to make that site stand out?

8. Sep 9, 2007 #8 of 20
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Megazone, I agree, and your site is actually usefull..

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 20
    megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Thanks, I try. :)

It takes a lot of time to keep a blog running if you want to make it good - especially as a one-man show. I think that's why a lot of the sites fizzle - you have to put in a lot of time and it helps to be a bit crazy I think. A lot of people start these sites and then burn out on maintaining it. And it sure as hell isn't a get-rich-quick plan.

For me I think a blog has to bring something unique to the table - some value-add. There should be some level of interpretation and analysis, not just parroting tidbits from other sites. Now, spreading news items is part of it, and I wouldn't say not to do that. But if a blog is just dry regurgitation of news flashes - you can do that with a robot. A lot of factors go into running a blog and just finding the right balance is tricky. I try to avoid 'chasing the ratings' - looking at Google Analytics, FeedBurner, etc, and trying to boost my numbers. I do look at those things, but mainly out of curiosity and looking at the big picture as my readership slowly grows.

I'm just an opinionated geek and I like to shoot my mouth off anyway. I've been doing it since 1989 on newsgroups and mailing lists, and I just migrated to web forums and blogs as technology progressed. :) I've been fortunate in that some people seem to enjoy reading what I write. But I never set out to start a blog - it has grown organically over time from just trying to help 'spruce up' a Live Journal community into its own site with a blog. I started the blog because I felt that I was putting too much non-TiVo stuff in the TiVo LJ community (Slingbox posts, etc) and I didn't want to stop writing about such things, so I needed a place to put it. I think that's helped, since it has progressed naturally and wasn't created by fiat.

I enjoy it most of the time. :)

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    wow zero posts in the forums, that's not a good sign..

I also agree with the thoughts on "another tivo-based blog?" the interwebs are littered with the shells of so many that have come before.

11. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005

well its a new and they have a right to do that., although this thread will likely get pulled and/or the link banned...

But I wonder who Greater sudberry Communications is . And if this will be a Canadian Tivo site - does Tivo even operate in Canada? Or are there legal advantages to hosting there?

12. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yes, TiVo has been available in Canada for a couple of years now.

No real advantage to hosting a site there - probably just a good hosting deal.

13. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005

Thank you I have not kept up as much the last few year.

I was thinking the peer to peer and/or extraction laws might be different.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo Inc. doesn't operate in Canada. (as in they have no corporate or regualtory presence here, nor any retail or support partners, beyond having some Canadian dial-in POPs), but Series 2 Tivos can be obtained by Canadains, subbed, and set up for a Canadian provider.

15. GrondramB

GrondramB New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Thank you Classic.

16. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Pretty much anything thing anyone wants to know or question one wants to get answered can be found here at TCF. However, it is a very difficult process. The site is filled with useless comments and bad info, and it is extremely difficult and time consuming to search, wade through and filter in the good info.

Absent much better regulation here at TCF, there is a need for sites with easy to find, reliable info. Different ones have their strengths and weaknesses in different areas, so learning them is important.

Mega's site is excellent for high quality info.* Zatz has a very good site. My blog addresses certain issues too without any commercials or fancy stuff. All three take a look at things outside of just TiVo, but most relates somehow to issues important to TiVo.

Also, the WinMFS (MFSLive.org) site is very good for the drive upgrade folks.

* Mega has a unique facility with technical details and interpretation/analysis of the same. His current and historical knowledgebase is amazing.

17. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Translation - I'm a big geek obsessed with TiVo and I have no life. ;-)

Seriously though - thanks for the compliment.

18. keviesten

keviesten New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Yes they will be able too. The site is still in its infancy and we hope with other users help it will grow to be something very usefull to the community. We will be loading tutorials soon, and download pages for hacks. Stay tuned.

19. keviesten

keviesten New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Thank you Classic.

20. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    Thread closed for rule violation:

OP, you may put a link in your signature line about your hack site, but you may not post threads along this line on this forum. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.