New show on Discovery Channel: Moonshiners

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 36
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Anybody going to be watching this? I'm going to give it a shot. I'm interested how they are going to handle this considering it is actually illegal.

Here is clip I found on the website:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/moonshiners-moonshiners-sneak-peek.html

I think it starts Tuesday 12/05/2011

2. Dec 5, 2011 #2 of 36
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    How are they going to make Moonshine in Alaska? Oh wait is this a Discovery show that is actually filmed somewhere else? :D

3. Dec 5, 2011 #3 of 36
    ngsmith

ngsmith Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Lawrencevill...
    And we thought that having two production teams for Paul Sr and Paul Jr was difficult.

Now we get criminals vs the feds.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 36
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    To pick nits, it is the illegal practice of making unreagulated/untaxed liquor that makes it moonshine, not what the liquor actually is.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 36
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    You can buy "moonshine" at Bevmo. This is a corn liquor made with the same receipes and methods as illegal moonshine. I suspect that like the show about marijuana, this is sort of illegal.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 36
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    To me "moonshine" isn't something that can be bought at a store and have taxes paid on. Just like how you aren't really buying Absynthe in the US.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 36
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Wow...that was some show.

Not very sneaky when you're driving around in a pickup truck with farm plates and a ton of moonshine bumper stickers.

I do wonder how this show works, legally. Can't they be subpeoned (spelling) for knowing when/where these people are doing this?

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 36
    Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    I like how cool and calm and to the point he handled the guy on the bridge.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 36
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That was an awesome verbal exchange! I was actually really impressed by that.

10. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    Without coming out and saying it, he told him that your wife can't get me without peppering you and i can get you even if you run. :eek:

:p

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Exactly.

It was a little stupid/staged that he would ask him if he can moonshine on the creek while there is a camera pointed right at him. What did he expect him to say?

12. hospadam

hospadam New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I felt like this whole episode could have been staged? At the beginning of the episode.. they showed the 'moonshiner' at his house. They had a carport - with a BMW! The whole "hillbilly" thing seemed like it could have been really played up, just for the camera. Throw in the whole legality issue - and I can see this being completely faked (more so than regular 'reality').

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I did notice that BMW...but in all fairness it was an older model, under a carport, in front of a mobile home ;)

Also, from an enforcement perspective, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to track these people down: All of the required equipment seems to require very specific material and (some)skilled labor to make or aqcuire.

for example all of the propane needed, or the corn required, or those huge pots. Seems like you could put some prevention methods in place at business that would supply those and you could easily track these people down.

now maybe those business are in cahoots (did I really just use that word!?!) with these guys.

14. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    What's wrong w the BMW. We're supposed to believe they make good money making moonshine right?

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    ok...If this show wasn't on Discovery, I'd be calling Total Bullsh*t on this show.

The guy is a volunteer fire chief?

They better ackowledge how/why these people did this show and how they expect to stay out of jail, at some point in this show.

16. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I dont even know if the cops are real? :)

They probably arent really making alcohol.

http://www.vafirenews.com/2011/12/v...e-on-discovery-channels-new-show-moonshiners/

http://timsmithmoonshine.com/timsmith.html

but I did fire up youtube and watch the short about Popcorn Sutton

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXkoc5-9a-Y&feature=related[/media]

17. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Ahhhh....Thanks for the links.

So what is coming out of those stills is just water, for this show.

btw, I really think I'm going to cance my SP for this, considering everything (other than maybe the ABC video footage) is fake and staged.

18. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I know I said I was cancelling my SP...but I'm still watching this drivel ;)

I don't know why, but I still enjoy it on some level. I guess these clowns are entertaining.

The best parts of the show are with Popcorn Willie!

19. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    I was curious so I looked up Popcorn Willie. It seems that those video clips are from previous documentaries about him. He has passed on.

20. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    I've come to accept that all reality shows are staged/scripted and are in no way real. But for some reason I like shows like this one, Gold Rush, and Black Gold. It must be the engineer in me that likes seeing how things are made.