New service working on unactivated Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by freediverdude, Apr 20, 2008.

1. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006

Advertisements

I have searched and cannot really find anything on this. My roommate purchased on old Series 2 single tuner unit at a thrift store (2003 model, has 240 in the model number). After going through guided setup and letting everything run (including the 4-8 hour period afterward), it seems to have the guide data and let him set up recordings and season passes, even though the service status says 1: New, call 1-877-xxx-xxxx whatever the number is. Is there like a trial period that they used to give you, or what is up with this? He can't believe he is getting free service. (He had clicked the "I have activated service" when he hadn't, just to see if it would activate and had lifetime service or something.) It looks like it's software version 4.x. Anyone have any clue?

2. phdeez

phdeez New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Yeah, normally tivo gives the user a few days to "actually" activate service. I had my TivoHD fully operational on its own without service for about 1.5 weeks. Under the "system info" screen it showed how many days were left of "free service." But, that was version 9.3 software...

If its a Series2, then after a few phone homes he whould get the latest software build (9.3)... I initially had 9.2 on my unactivated TivoHD, and actually got 9.3 before my activated TivoHD got it!

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most likely the original owner had Lifetime Service on this TiVo and xfered the Lifetime Service off this TiVo to another TiVo at the time of one of TiVos $199 Xfer options. Once the xfer was complete the old TiVo will show NEW for some reason as I have personally observed this before. You will have 7 days of operation then 14 more days of guide data until the unit goes to doorstop mode. Some of the newer software may make the doorstop mode happen after 7 days.

4. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Ok thanks for the replies. I was thinking it was something like that.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

No, not most likely. That's one possibility, but not the most likely.

Any S2 (don't know for sure about the others) will do this after a sub is canceled. It will first show the account status as 8: closed and then it will show the account status as 1: New which will give you the free trial period, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers the change.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    After you close an TiVo (so it shows closed ) it will never (within two years at least) show new. I just checked an old Series 2 that been closed for about two years and it still has closed in the SI screen.
    Where did you get the idea that a closed TiVo will go back to new at some point ??

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is probably a TiVo somebody received as a gift, saw the subscription requirement, never used it, and gave it to the thrift store.