New Series 3 Has Ver 8.0.1 Software

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dweller569, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dweller569

dweller569 New Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

My Series 3 stopped working about a week ago. After many calls to TiVo support, it was determined that we needed a replacement box. So, yesterday I received a brand new TiVo box, with a manufacture date of August, 2008.

My problems started with the Guided Setup process. I am unable to get my wireless connection to work with the new box. This is especially troublesome since I am using exactly the same WiFi adapter and network settings that worked just fine with the original Series 3 box.

After four very long sessions with the TiVo support team, they gave up and suggested that I contact my ISP and router vendor for more help. I think that suggestion is bogus.

Fortunately, I can get the guide and other stuff using my phone line.

In a related issue, I was wondering why the new box was not recognizing my external storage device (WD 500 GB). I could not find any reference to external storage on the setup menu.

Then something clicked, and I checked the software version of the box. I was surprised to see that the version was 8.0.1c. I just can't believe that TiVo would ship a new box with such old software.

So, my question is: how can I get an immediate upgrade to the latest version considering that I must use a land line connection? And, could the ancient version be causing my wireless connection problems?

2. vazquezj324

vazquezj324 now THIS is Colorado

Jul 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, the version could be causing the wireless problems. Which TiVo tech should have also considered. 8.1 is most suitable for wireless connections, espacially if you are using WPA encryption.
    And using the phone line to conenct for the SW download is a choice, unless you can connect hardwire to the internet. Mainly, I suggest this because that big of SW download (up to 9.4!!) will take the rest of your life (seemingly).
    I hope this helps.

3. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another option is to temporarily use a wired ethernet connection to get it upgraded.

4. dweller569

dweller569 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will run a 25 foot long ethernet cable to the TiVo box tomorrow after I call TiVo support and order the new software.

5. efrsysop

efrsysop IT Pro

Sep 19, 2008
    NH & MA...

Advertisements

Hello universe, first time poster, long time vistor. I actually just recevied a replacement box for my S3 as well. It too had the 8.0.1 software. It had a sticker on the back saying DOM 08-08, but I peeled it off to find another sticker under it saying 05-08. At any rate, I can't speak to the phone line option, but basically, if you go into settings, and then phone/network. Force a connection several times in a row. It might take 3 or 4 calls to call home before you get the software, but you definitely don't need to call TiVo or deal with them at all to get the update.

Best,
    Spencer

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You don't call TiVo support or order anything to get the latest version of software. Just get the wired network working and force a daily call. It should download 9.4. Once you have the latest software waiting to upgrade, force a reboot.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    SOP for TiVo is to send out refurbished boxes with the software version they originally came with from the factory, regardless of the current software version in the field, and to not upgrade the factory release version (for future new builds) unless there is real reason to.

8. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So to summarize:
    1. Connect the ethernet cable.
    2. Complete guided setup.
    3. Force a connection. It should download the latest version.
    4. Wait until it's finished loading data. The status of the last call should be "Pending restart". If it's not, force another call.
    5. Restart the Tivo. It should go into the service update installation when it restarts.

9. dweller569

dweller569 New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I connected the Ethernet cable and the system immediately started to download version 9.4.

Once the unit restarted, it recognized and installed the external storage drive. I was also able to easily activate the WiFi connection.

I am really miffed at TiVo for shipping a "new" unit with such old software. The least they could do is include a notice on how to upgrade the software before attempting to hook up WiFi or external storage devices. I am sure that the old software also kept me from having my cable company activate the cable cards. There is a service person coming to get the cards working.

Again, thanks. The forum certainly is a better knowledge base than TiVo support.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think older software has WPA issues when trying to setup wifi with the TiVo branded adapter. I know in the past I have had this issue until the unit upgraded.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's a pretty small miff.

Well, I suppose. It's certainly common knowledge.

No, all versions of the software work with any CableCard, and the Tivo's software really doesn't have anything to do with enabling the CableCards. The stream is passed, untouched, to the CableCards from the tuners. The pairing function is pretty trivial.