New Series 2 Dual Tuner Scrambled Audio on One Tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MKB985, Aug 6, 2007.

1. MKB985

MKB985 New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I installed our new s2 Dual Tuner TiVo today to replace our single tuner S2 and found that the audio on one of the tuners was scrambled. The words sort of come out but there is a lot of interference and it is completely scrambled/static. I have called TiVo and re-plugged everything in the hopes of finding a dead cord to no luck. I am hoping someone out there has faced a similar problem, but have found nothing on the boards. Our set up is pretty basic (just followed the TiVo instructions)

Cable -- goes to splitter -- coils go to Cable Box (Motorola DCT2224) and to TiVo
    A/V Cords connect TiVo to Cable Box and TV to TiVo, using a serial for channel changing and ethernet cord for network

I appreciate any advice on this, especially since the TiVo representative basically told me I either had a dead cord or a weak signal but changin gcords and plugging the Cable into a different outlet didn't work .... Thanks in Advance!!! :(

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Are you following the printed guide for connecting TiVo that came with your new TiVo? Click here for detailed instructions.

Not sure what "coils" are? :confused:

As recommended, try a new set of cables wherever you can. Coax cables don't have to have gold plated connectors but should be of very good quality RG-6 and kept as short as is practical. The same goes for any other cables you are using. Your splitter should be best quality as well.

If I'm reading your post right your setup should be:

Coax cable from the wall to your splitter. (Be sure this is a high-end, good quality splitter.)
    One coax cable from the splitter to your STB (cable set top box) RF input.
    One coax cable from the splitter to TiVo RF input.
    One output from STB S-video or composite/RCA (S-video is better) to Tivo input.
    One cable from TiVo output (S-video or composite/RCA) to television.

Also note that problems can arise if you are running your coax cable through a surge protector. Some SP's do a good job, others ruin the signal completely.

Once you're satisfied with your setup reboot TiVo and go through the guided setup once more to be sure it's recognizing everything.

If all else fails you may have a bad tuner in you new TiVo...in which case you should contact TiVo for a replacement.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Any chance that the problem is occurring on one input source rather than on one tuner. That is, does it always happen on basic channels (2-99) or always on cable box channels (100+).

4. MKB985

MKB985 New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Thank you for all the advice! I will defintely try and replace to better coax cables .... as for the input, its happening on all channels unfortunately. I am considering getting a signal booster too, does anyone have any experience with this??

Also, on my cable box there are a couple of inputs -- RF In & Cable In -- it was set up by the cable company w/the cable in .... should I have it in 'RF in'?? Right now there is a small coaxial connecting the RF In and something that says to 'TO RF in' ... The other weird thing is that the cable box shows a completely different channel than either Tuner ... thanks again!