New Series 2 DT sound issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jaimz2, Jul 20, 2007.

1. jaimz2

jaimz2 Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Greer, SC
    I set up a new Series 2 Dual Tuner 80 Hour unit. I have cable and DO NOT have a cable box. I followed the setup instructions for this type of setup (1 coaxal cable from wall to input of Tivo).

During setup after verifying my channel lineup (it asked me to verify that the channel I was watching (channel 17) was in fact ION - which it was).
    Next came a screen that was black in the background that asked if I could see video in the background. I could not so I selected NO and it came back to the same screen. It was a loop. So I findally selected YES and after everything finished everything seemed fine.

However, when I switched to the 2nd tuner the sound skips in/out to the point that it's hard to determine what is said. The other tuner is fine.

So I restarted the unit (to no avail) and completely started over with the guided setup from the beginning (to no avail). The sound skips on one tuner but not the other.

What gives? why did I have trouble getting video during the setup and why is the sound skipping or cutting in out?

:confused:

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Contact TiVo.

I seem to recall something about the DT machines sometimes having audio problems when they first came out.

Sounds like yours may have slipped thru the cracks.

As for the black screen during setup, and you having to "lie" to the TiVo and say you can see video, you're not the only one. A lot of people have had that problem.

I don't know what TiVo's explanation for it is, however.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    What version software is on the box? Many of the DT audio problems were solved/fixed in recent software updates.

4. jaimz2

jaimz2 Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Greer, SC
    An upgrade to the software fixed it. That happened overnight and all is well.

:)