New Series 2 DT not seeing my other TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by LoraJ, May 21, 2006.

1. LoraJ

LoraJ Member

Mar 7, 2002
    So, I set this new TiVo to be able to do transfers on the tivo site. They say to wait 2 hours for this info to reach the TiVo. It's been 8 hours. I have had all of my TiVos call into TiVo. I have restarted them all. None of them are seeing the new TiVo and the new TiVo is not seeing them. They are all on the same network. The other 2 TiVo's are wireless and the new one is hooked up by the ethernet cable. The two older TiVos see each other.

What am I missing?

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Do you have a computer on the same network? If you do, look in the Phone and Network settings for the IP address that the TiVo was assigned by the DHCP server in your router. Go to a command prompt and enter this command on the PC

ping (fill in the IP address of the TiVo)

If you get a timeout, the TiVo is not on the network for some reason. If you get replys, then it is on the network. Not sure where the problem is then.

3. LoraJ

LoraJ Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Thank you! I figured out the problem. I was out of room on my wireless router so I had plugged it into the router that the phone plugs into (which the ethernet cable comes from the wireless router). I had assumed that it would see the same IP but guess not. So I switched a couple of cables around and now everything works. :)

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Yes -all your TiVos must be on the same subnet. With two routers, you have two subnets. You probably can configure your wireless router to be just an access point, keeping in the same subnet.

5. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    My Tivos IP add. keep changing is this normal or can i stop it??.I have 4 tivos

6. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    The IP Address is probably assigned by the DHCP server in your router. There may be an option in the router config that will fix the problem, but this will be router model specific, or you can change your Tivo to use a Static IP address.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Try increasing your client lease on your router time to atleast a day. Unless you are constantly rebooting your TiVos they shouldn't get obtaining new ip addresses very often however. The other solution is to just use a static ip on each tivo. If you do that just make sure you choose an ip address outside the range of your dhcp settings.

8. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Thanks for your tips. Every thing seems to working. Thank you

Angel :up: