New Series 1 User Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MudJack, May 11, 2011.

1. MudJack

MudJack New Member

May 11, 2011
    I'm using the coaxial cable from the wall, running it through my Motorola DVR then to my TIVO. The problem occurs when I try to record a channel on my TIVO other the channel set on the DVR. In other words, if I try to record TNT on my TIVO, I have to leave my DVR set to the TNT channel. If the DVR is set on WGN then TIVO will not record TNT that night.

If I went out of town I can only leave my DVR on the channel. This would mean I can only record that one channel with my TIVO.

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong? If so, I'm better off with an old VCR.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You need to get a coax cable splitter and run one cable to each device.

3. MudJack

MudJack New Member

May 11, 2011
    If I split the cable, will TIVO get the upper cables without the DVR? My plasma will not pickup the upper channels with out the DVR. It's how TWC forces you to pay for their DVR.

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    With a TiVo Home Control Cable with RJ-14 or a TiVo IR blaster, your TiVo should be able to control which channel the TWC DVR is tuned to.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The DVR is just acting as a cable box. If you are trying to record a channel that requires a cable box (most likely the upper channels you mentioned), then yes, the DVR will need to be on the same channel you want the TiVo to record. If you only use the TiVo to record it would be cheaper to replace the DVR with a cable box. If you are tryig to record two different programs on them at the same time then the TiVo would need its own cable box.