New Season Pass Needed for Many Programs?

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by ntsc525, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ntsc525

ntsc525 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Earth (the...

Advertisements

I have noticed that many of my current Season Passes are not picking up new shows. Thanks to DVRUpgrade, I can see the Series ID's of the problem shows, and see that they have changed. Therefore, for example, with the show The Shield on FX, the old shows have one Series ID, and the new shows have a different one.

So, while last week, my SP showed that I would record the new upcoming episode of The Shield, this week, it's no where to be seen. When I search for the show, I see it listed twice, so I must now create a new Season Pass to get the new episode.

I'm seeing this with many shows, including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Show with David Letterman.

I have a DIRECTV TiVo, so I don't know if this is affecting the Standalone units also, or is specific to DIRECTV. Either way, it's a pain to have to recreate all my Season Passes again.

I don't dare delete the older ones, because the series ID could change back just as suddenly as it changed!

Anyone got any inside scoop on this? Why are they changing the Series ID's of so many shows?

Dan

2. TV addict

TV addict New Member

Aug 29, 2001
    San Diego,...
    Looks like old Season Passes do not detect new episodes. Old Season Passes do detect repeats and episodes with "generic" description.

Here are the shows that I have found:

KNBC The Tonight Show With Jay Leno (starting 8/28, 9/1 repeat is OK)
    FNC Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace (8/31 only, 9/7 generic is OK)
    KTTV Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace (8/31 only, 9/7 generic is OK)
    MSNBC Meet the Press
    KNBC Meet the Press
    SCFI Eureka (9/9 only, 9/2 repeat is OK)
    KABC BusinessWeek TV (8/31 only, 9/7 generic is OK)
    KCBS 60 Minutes (8/31 only, 9/7 generic is OK)
    ABCF Greek

In "To Do List", but "View upcoming episodes" displays nothing for the following:
    KNBC Wall Street Journal Report With Marie Bartiromo

This looks like it is a DirecTV only problem. How can we get them to stop doing this? Is there someone to contact, other than the standard customer service agent?

3. ntsc525

ntsc525 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Earth (the...
    It's not just new shows versus reruns that have a new Series ID.

I haven't found any consistency in determining how many shows have changed or just have clones.

Let's take "Entourage" on HBO. The new season starts next week, with an episode called "Fantasy Island". One show, one episode that repeats throughout the week on HBO. Some of them show up under one "Entourage", and some show up on the other "Entourage". If you search for "Entourage", you'll see it listed twice. One of the listings will give you the opportunity to "Get a Season Pass". That's how you'll know it's got a different Series ID.

And, it's affecting shows that were already in my To Do list. For instance, last week, I already saw that I was set to get the new episode of "The Shield", but this week, it no longer shows up. Now it's an episode of a clone of "The Shield".

To fix the problem, I have to search for each show to make sure it doesn't have any clones, and if it's affected, I'll see it twice. Or, I'll only see it once, but my Season Pass shows no upcoming episodes! (That means they're all clones.) Selecting one should show "Modify Season Pass", which indicates that's the one you already have a Season Pass for. The other will have "Get a Season Pass", which you'll have to do in order to catch the cloned episodes.

I happen to have one TiVo that's hacked with DVR Upgrade, and TiVoWebPlus, so it's easier to search and see what the deal is between the two shows. But the method above applies to unhacked TiVo's as well.

If you have a lot of Season Passes, then you've got some work to do if you don't want to miss anything. And just in time for the new season! Check each show in your Season Pass list and if it doesn't show any upcoming episodes, you'll have to search for it again and add the "new" one just under your original. If it shows upcoming episodes, but not the ones you expect, then the show has a clone you have to find and add to your Season Passes.

I would definitely leave the original season pass in place (yes, have two for the same show) in case DIRECTV decides to "fix" this problem and change them all back!

TiVo hackers will note that for the new "clone" shows that are not already in our Season Passes, the ServerID always starts with ASER. I read somewhere that's usually used with sporting events, so I suspect there's been a glitch and when they fix it, the shows will change back.

So, again I say, keep your original Season Pass when you add the clone!

Dan

4. ntsc525

ntsc525 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Earth (the...
    Here's an update:

Since my main TiVo is a hacked (DVRUpgrade) 6.2a box, I thought this problem was common for all DIRECTV TiVo's, but it is not. My unhacked 6.4a does not appear affected, though Season Passes may miss one or two episodes of a show that show up in the Guide.

I haven't done a thorough inventory, but my parents, who record All My Children on ABC, report that their Season Pass is missing a day or two from the upcoming episodes (such as September 3), yet the Sept. 3 episode shows up in Guide and can be manually recorded. I believe they are at 6.4a (has Recently Deleted folder). Neither they, nor my 6.4a TiVo sees "clones" of shows. They're just missing certain episodes in Season Pass.

Anyone else seeing these problems, please report what version of TiVo software you're seeing it on.

I'm seeing the clone shows on a Hughes SD-DVR40 with 6.2a Instant Cake, and PTVNet (They're advertised on this site).

5. TV addict

TV addict New Member

Aug 29, 2001
    San Diego,...

Advertisements

Interesting, I don't have different Series ID's for the same episodes of any shows that I have Season Passes for. I wander how DirecTV did that? I can see that when they enter repeats they copy the old Series ID. I can also see when they enter a generic (no description for the episode) episode, they copy the old Series ID. I wander if HBO added more showings of that episode of Entourage after DirecTV changed their process.

All four of my units are series 2 running ver 6.2 upgraded to ver 6.2a using install62a.tcl from BTUx9. All four units are zippered.

6. ntsc525

ntsc525 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Earth (the...
    Please try one of these tests and let me know:

Check your Season Pass for "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (assuming you have a season pass for that). If you watched it last season, and if your TiVo has the same problem as mine, you will see no upcoming episodes. Now search for Terminator: ..., and you should see it listed, and you can get a season pass for THAT series.

This will work whether you already have a season pass or not. If you have a SP for "The Shield", see if it will catch the new episode called "Coefficient of Drag". If not, then search for "The Shield", and you should see it listed twice. One version will show the repeats, and one version will show the new episodes. In this case, the reruns are showing on my local CW station (L.A. 5), and first runs are on FX. Used to be no matter which channel the show appeared on, the series ID was the same.

Also, Late Show with David Letterman shows up twice, with some episodes under each series title (all on CBS), and same with Leno (all on NBC). These are examples of first run episodes for the same show appearing under different "clones" of the same series. Same series, same channel, but different series ID's. (Letterman: 9/01, 9/02, 9/03, 9/05 = Series ID 27487/10. 9/04, 9/08 = Series ID 1186374/10)

Search for "Modern Marvels". You will see it listed three times: Once as "Modern Marvels". You can look for upcoming episodes. Once as "Modern Marvels (269 HIST)" and once as "Modern Marvels (271 Hint)". Select the one on (269 HIST), and you may get "Error code: Error #32", with a very deep TiVo "bong" sound effect.

I'd be curious if you can duplicate any of the examples I have above.

Also, I notice that when you navigate to "SeriesObject" using TiVoWebPlus, in addition to the new Series ID, you see the ServerID starts with "ASER-<show name>", in this case "ASER-Late Show With David Letterman", where the original series used ServerID = ATSH<some number>, in this case "ATSH076838" for Letterman.

I'm sure some hackers out there probably know what this means. I read somewhere (but can no longer find) that ATSH was for series shows and ASER-<title> was for sporting events. Maybe there's a problem with the Guide data, but 6.4a is smart enough to work through it, except for shows that just can't be found other than through the guide.

7. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Another strategy would be to set up an Auto-Recording Wishlist for your problem shows.

Jan

8. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    My TiVo is picking up Terminator just fine.

9. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    So is mine. I suspect this is guide data errors from your service provider.

10. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    My DTIVO DSR6000 3.5C is picking up the new Sarah Conner just fine with the old SP. I use an Auto-Recording Wishlist for Modern Marvels since it is on two different channels. None of my other old shows have new episodes on the schedule yet but I'll keep a close eye on my two SA TiVos and watch for the new episodes to show up.

11. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    A couple of shows that will need new SPs this year are Scrubs and Inside the NFL both of which changed networks.

12. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    My TiVo picked up Shield and Terminator just fine.

Entourage is on my ReplayTV so I can't check that. But I set it to "new episodes only" and it got it.

13. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    My DTiVo with 6.2 (not 6.2a) is hacked with zipper, and it dropped the Shield and Terminator. I had to redo the season passes.

But as described, the Shield originally showed tonights episode, then at some point canceled it claiming that 'someone modified the season pass'. (Which more often seems to be code for "the guide data changed")

14. datcha

datcha New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Behind the...
    Our HD TiVo seems to have stopped finding new shows for ones we have auto-record season passess for. I nearly missed an early morning sports event because of it. Wife checked the "To Do" list this morning and none of the new seasons are on the list that we asked for.

Our provider is Cox and we have no hacks, etc.

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have an HD Tivo and things seem to be picking up OK.

16. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    How strange this is. My old SP for The Shield is not picking up the new season. So I do a search by title, to setup a new season pass, and The Shield actually appears twice in the resulting search as if its two completely different shows. Really, really strange. Its definitely bad guide data. The server ID's are completely different in TWP. In fact, the new show doesn't even have a number in the Server ID.

17. vegaspl

vegaspl Tivo'er since '99

Feb 20, 2001
    West Hills,...
    In all the years using TiVo's & DTV DVR's I have NEVER run into so many problems with Season Passes. I don't understand it and do not look forward to setting up all new Sp's.

Spread out over more than jjust a few DVR's.

Somebody at DTV or wherever certainly dropped the ball. Still plenty of time left for them to recover. At the very least perhaps they (or someone) should put out an easy to follow list of all the most popular shows and how they should NOW be set up.

PLEASE!!!!

18. datcha

datcha New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Behind the...
    Have been able to "reset" ALL of our SPs by going in to each one, making a quick amendment (such as "number of recordings to keep"), changing it back to the previous value straight away and then clicking okay.

Once done for each SP, I checked the latest "View upcoming programs" and ALL were back to how they should be. One note - I had to reboot the TiVo before it would let me delete any SPs... Very strange.

This seems to have only come about in the last few weeks (probably since the last update) as I'd set a new SP since then and that was working fine.

We're back to normal - at least for now!

19. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I did this, for a SP that was working, and it caused this problem. I have a SP on for star trek DS9. I changed the end time from "on time" to 5 minutes later. This morning, I noticed last nights episode did not record. ToDo list history says "someone in your house modified"<snip>. Going into my SP for DS9, it now says "There are no upcoming episodes". Browsing through the guide, I can find the next episode, and select a new season pass for it, giving me two SP's listed in the SP manager, on the same channel (spike, 241). One of them says "no upcoming episodes", and the other says "4 upcoming episodes".

I had the same problem with Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I made no changes to that SP, though. I read this thread, where that show was given as an example, and I checked out my tivo, and found it was not going to record. I made a new SP for it, and now it looks like it is going to record.

My units are all hacked, all running 6.2a

20. ntsc525

ntsc525 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Earth (the...
    Anyone seeing this problem on a TiVo that is not a DIRECTV Tivo running 6.2a?

Anyone tried rebooting or other fixes to correct it?

So far, my 6.4a TiVo seems to be picking shows up fine, but both 6.2a's will show two results when searching for an affected show, one for a SeriesID that starts with "ATSH" (older ones) and one that has a SeriesID that starts with "ASER" (the change in Guide Data.)

Since my 6.4a isn't hacked (and couldn't be, as far as my last research), I have no way of seeing ServerID data for any shows.

I might try rebooting my TiVo later, but right now it's about to start Letterman and Leno.

Dan