New Screen - Launching Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missingwings, Apr 5, 2020.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011

Advertisements

In the last few days, I am getting delays when launching recorded programs. Previously, a recorded program would start almost immediately after highlighting it in “Recordings” and pressing “Select.” Now most of the time a “white arrow” screen (similar to the “STARTING UP” screen) momentarily appears (see attachment), then a “thumb-nail” image of the program appears in the upper right corner, and finally the program fills the screen and starts normally. The white-arrow screen doesn’t happen every time, but the thumb-nail seems to. I don’t think this is related to heavy internet use, since the recording resides on my Roamio Pro's hard drive.

Is anyone else having this happen? Any ideas?

WhiteArrows.jpg

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    This is the first indication that pre-roll ads will be coming your way.

FIX: Removing Ads Before Watching a Recorded Event

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is a part of Tivo + from Tivo software v21 (AKA Hydra, TE4)...

To remove it would mean to downgrade back to v20.7 (TE3) and that would involve losing your content.

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Short version: The Tivo is trying to play an ad from the internet before your show, those arrows are only supposed to last for a instant, then the ad loads. But due to bugs and bad assumptions, it often hangs there.

Your options to avoid them are:

A) Call or online chat Tivo with TSN in hand, and tell them you want to opt out of preroll advertisements. They will tell you "Oh, but you can just skip them?", insist, and they will put in a ticket and the feature will be disabled in about 3 days. You may have to redo this after software updates.
    B) Revert the box from TE4 to TE3, which is a destructive change, normally only done if deep in year heart you preferred the old interface anyway. (Wipes the unit, and you will lose CEC and AutoSkip if you used either of those)

compuguy and Mikeguy like this.
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

This doesn't have anything to do with TiVo+ which are the streaming channels. This is due to the pre-roll ads being implemented on Roamio's with TE4.

Scott

6. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I question whether this is directly related to pre-roll ads. The reason for saying this is that it (i.e. "it" being the white arrow screen and thumb-nail view in upper right corner) is happening separately from the ads (which is something I've also seen, but not the focus of my original post #1 above). Another reason for stating this is that the skip button, as suggested elsewhere, has no effect on bypassing the "it" (at least not for my Roamio Pro). So if I call and get opted out of the pre-roll ads, I'm guessing that the "it" phenomena will still be occurring.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would guess the skip button isn't working as it's not getting to the point in playing the pre-roll ad where it's active. Call and opt-out.

Scott

8. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    It’s related to the ads.

I chatted on tivo.com to opt out last Monday and they were gone by EOD Tuesday. Also gone was the white arrow screen.

9. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I also called in and requested that the “white arrow” screen and the thumb-nail P-I-P be disabled for my account. Three days later and I haven't seen them since.