New Router; now can't find zippered Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by NYHeel, Mar 29, 2009.

1. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003

Advertisements

I got a new router and I've managed to reset everything on it (slingbox, desktop and laptop and 2 Tivo HDs) but I'm having trouble with my 2 zippered DTivos. Basically my IP gateway changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1. How can I get my DTivos to see the new router and pick up an IP address? One thing to keep in mind is that I just switched to Fios and I've suspended my Directv account. But I don't think that would matter. I've rebooted one of them twice and it doesn't seem to help. I have a wired connection.

Just wanted to add that MRV does seem to work. But I'd still like to get an IP address as the NPL takes a long time to load up and I have to wait awhile until the other Tivo shows up. It probably still works because of the wired connection.

2. BigBearf

BigBearf New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    NYHeel,
    Probably the easiest thing to do is to pull the drives and rerun zipper and specify IP gateway as 192.168.1.1. I am sure there are other ways to do it using a serial cable but they have always been a pain for me to change parameters using it.

BigBearf

3. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    by manually setting your PC back to the 192.168.0.x subnet, you should be able to connect to your tivos at their old addresses.

If you have a fairly recent version of TWP running, you should be able to change your tivo's network settings there.

4. djl25

djl25 C64 hacker

May 26, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Does the Zipper enable the Phone/Network screen on the Tivo's setup menu? That would seem to be the fastest way to fix it.

5. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003

Advertisements

How would I do that? I have some networking knowledge but I'm not sure what you're saying. Should I change the router gateway to 192.168.0.1 and if so how? Or are you saying something about the PC itself? Also if I do change the router gateway how would that impact my other devices (2 Tivo HDs, 2 laptops, one PC and 1 slingbox)? It doesn't seem like a big deal but I was wondering. Thanks for the help and sorry for being a pain. I just never even know you can change the router gateway to something different from the default.

I just had a thought. It changing the router's gateway address as simple as changing the allowable range of IP addresses. Say that currently I'm at 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255. Could I just switch the first one to 192.168.0.101 and then my old IP addresses for the zippered DTivos would be in the range? If I did that would I have to change the end of the range to 192.168.0.255 to match up with the beginning number?

6. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    that's another option... I sent a PM with more details