New Roamio user with customization questions..

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by audiodane, Dec 6, 2015.

1. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009

Advertisements

I've been playing around with a brand new Roamio today (yay!), and have some questions.. For reference, I'm coming from an S3OLD and S3THD ...

1) Looking at the new Tivo Central, the "Find TV, Movies, and Videos" link has all sorts of sub-selections (netflix, amazon, vudu, hulu, ...). That's great and all, and I have several accounts, but not all of them. Is there a way I can "clean up the list" to remove things like MLB.TV? There will never come a day that I will use MLB.TB (cue gasp!), and would rather not have to scroll past it everytime on my way to VUDU or something else that I do use..

2) Also, there are these "video on demand" listings across the top. Again, great, but how do I control what's up there? For instance, currently it shows "Mirrors 2" which is a horror flick.. I will NEVER watch a horror flick on this Tivo.. Can I at least tell Tivo to only recommend "G" or "PG" or the like? Can I turn the top row off completely? It seems like an advertisement bar that I'm really not interested in (esp. with lifetime service)..

Sorry if these are trivial questions, I'm not finding any obvious places to configure such settings.

thanks so much,
    ..dane

2. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    1.) Yep. Go into settings - channels - my video providers, and uncheck what you don't want on your screen.

2.) Yep. Go into settings - display settings - customize discovery bar. Uncheck some, or all.

Enjoy!

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's something to ponder. You have discovered the Search menus. Here is a point to remember. If you click on Search, it will only display items that are on TV and for on-line items it will use the Video Providers list as a filter. So if all you have selected is Amazon Prime, only Prime results will display, not regular Amazon Instant Video. If you use the Amazon app, that rectangular box under Search or My Shows, you go directly to the Amazon app and no filters are used. These is a Recording option to include streaming content. If you do not include that filter, and use Search, again the filter is applied. So if you only select your streaming services the results of Search will be those you can use. If you select the app icon, you get everything from that provider just as if you went to its web site from a computer. Search can also be a little behind the website, so sometimes a day or two is needed before you get the Search results to be the same as the app results. I hope this saves you from future posts when you find "odd" behavior when looking for a program. It's a popular problem.

4. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Great advice, thanks!

5. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009

Advertisements

Ha ha ha.. I find it quite laughable that it was right under my nose! I looked through the settings early on before I had streaming stuff setup, and I guess I just didn't go back and look carefully enough. Thank you!

I turned off all the discovery bar stuff to see if it would go away completely, but it did not. I'm rebooting now to see if it does. As a last resort I could have it only display from "my shows.."

EDIT: rebooting did it. discovery bar gone. :)

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're saying, but I will go back and try different things while reading back through your post and get back to you. Thanks for letting me know!

cheers,
    ..dane

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Discovery bar never goes away. You can only adjust what it shows.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    wah?!?

Is it *still* gone? I've never seen anyone state that they were able to successfully eliminate the Discovery Bar. (The best I've managed is what you suggested, simply whittling down what it's *supposed* to display to 'My Shows' -- though I still find it throwing-up other unrelated content. It's quite annoying.)

I'll give my unit a reboot once it's finished recording the show in-progress, and see for myself.

9. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I understand.. Today I was looking for something and it came up on Amazon (yay!) but was not Prime (boo). I can see how I might want to use the app to search for all options, but at the same time not wanting listings to show up if they're not free. I think it's a happy compromise. I'll take non-Prime off my provider list and if I want to rent I can always go to the app..

Nah, it came back after it was on a little while. Must have just been because I had rebooted but it hadn't filled it with anything yet. :) Sorry for the false alarm..

..dane