New Roamio No MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jmerr74, Mar 28, 2020.

1. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Had an issue with my last TiVo Roamio it died. I picked up a used one...same model on eBay.

For some reason the MOCA connection option isn't showing up on it...I've reset. I've restarted. I've unplugged and plugged in...nothin.

I am connected via Ethernet and there has not been any change in my setup...I just unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. I did the requisite updates as well...anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model? Roamio Plus and Pro has 6 tuners, MoCa. Basic and OTA, 4 tuners, no Moca, needs a MoCa adapter.

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    What model number (look in System Information, or the TSN label on the back of the unit, for the first three numbers.)

If it is an 846 model, it doesn't have MoCa ability built in. If it's 840/848, it should.

4. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    It's an 846 and I have the MOCA adapters...Netgear...it's the same setup I've used for years. I have an adapter at my router and one at the Roamio. It won't show a MOCA option on the Roamio. My Minis can connect and download my Roamio just doesn't show up...I didn't have an issue with my previous Roamio.

5. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    The only thing I haven't done is unplugged the connection into my cable access panel...maybe the could do something?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no MoCa option on a 4 tuner Roamio would connect by ethernet using the MoCa adapter.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    You should connect the Netgear adapter at the Roamio side to the Roamio itself via Ethernet, and set the TiVo network configuration accordingly. The only time you would use the MoCa option is for TiVo units with integrated MoCa hardware, in which case you wouldn’t have the netgear stuff connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio would be plugged-in via Ethernet to it MoCA adapter and configured with an Ethernet connection. The MoCA adapter would bridge the Ethernet connection onto the MoCA segment, and your Roamio will be none the wiser.

(You won't find any MoCA option within the 4-tuner Roamio's UI screens, as that box has no MoCA functionality.)

9. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Yes. I am connecting it at the Roamio via Ethernet through the MOCA adapter. I've unplugged the router, the MOCA at the router, the modem, and have unplugged and plugged in my Minis. I've restarted the Roamio as well.

Very weird.

10. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Gotcha. Okay. KrKaufman you helped me a few years ago when I initially hooked up my original Roamio. Do I need to re-add the Minis again to my TiVo account? Is there anything I need to do online?

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, all Tivo devices need to be on your tivo.com account, with the same Media Access Key or they cannot connect.

12. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    No. I'm a moron. I had to change the TiVo that the Minis connect to...5 hours of wasted time...it's working now!

Thank you all for your help!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    We should have picked-up on the new Roamio having a functioning network connection based on the above statement in the OP.

It sounds like the original problem was just that the Minis weren't connecting to the new Roamio?

14. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    Yes exactly. The network is fine. I just had the Minis looking for the wrong TiVo. Not my most shining moment...lol...

krkaufman likes this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Commendable that you didn't just ghost the thread. Thanks for the closure.

Enjoy...

jmerr74 likes this.
  16. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    LOL...maybe there is someone out there (although our numbers are dwindling) that can use this nugget of info. It would save themselves 5 hours of needless hassle.

I do know the TiVo Edge is in my future! After The Rona shenanigans go away and I have my job again! The hospitality industry in Florida folded like a deck of cards...very sad to see happen.

krkaufman likes this.