1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roamio can't connect to my old Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by greensky, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jun 7, 2018 #1 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I have one Roamio and I just purchased/setup a new one. I can't seem to get the new Roamio to connect to the old one so I can copy shows from it onto the new one. Does anyone know what that might be?

My old one has the older style interface and the new one has the new interface (which I don't really care for so far, but I'll give it a bit before I pass judgement). My old Tivo can see the new one, but the new Tivo can't see the old one. The new Tivo says 'there are no compatible systems on the network'. Is there anything I can do to get them to talk to each other on the network?

Thanks!

2. Jun 7, 2018 #2 of 22
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The devices should see each other. Check your account. The other TE3 TiVo will be in Devices of My Shows. You can look & play, but not move.

https://explore.tivo.com/content/dam/tivo/explore/how-to/TiVoExperience_VG.pdf To read all about it.

At this time your ability to make the new TE4 TiVo downgrade to the TE3 interface is broken.

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

3. Jun 7, 2018 #3 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    So I can't copy them over? That's not good. That's been the only way I've been able to get them to play reasonably. :\

Do you expect that will ever be fixed?

4. Jun 7, 2018 #4 of 22
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Direct transfers between Hydra/TE4 and Encore/TE3 boxes is not currently possible. However, you should be able to queue shows for transfer via TiVo Online.

http://online.tivo.com

5. Jun 7, 2018 #5 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Ahh, that would work. I have to say I really don't like the new UI.

I did manage to get my new Roamio to see the old one, but it gives an error when I try to play anything.

6. Jun 7, 2018 #6 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Okay, the transfer UI online is pretty horrible as well. Is there an easy way to tell it to transfer all recordings you have of one show without having to browse through a giant list? Hmm, sort by name should work I suppose.

7. Jun 7, 2018 #7 of 22
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As @JoeKustra pointed-out, you can downgrade the software on the box with the new UI (at the cost of recordings & settings), but the downgrade mechanism is currently broken.

It sounds like you may want to reconsider how the boxes are networked. Are you using a wireless or wired network connection? And are you tuning cable or OTA antenna?

TiVo only officially supports wired connections (Ethernet or MoCA) for streaming shows between boxes; wireless connections support transfers — though complicated by the Hydra limitation requiring TiVo Online. (Noting that many people are streaming via wireless, DIY, though much depends on the equipment used and the environment.)

8. Jun 7, 2018 #8 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    How long do the scheduled transfers usually take. Online it says
    24 hours is sort of a long time for it to actually take before it starts transferring.

9. Jun 7, 2018 #9 of 22
    greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Both systems are on a wired network. One is hooked up over OTA w/an antenna and the other doesn't have access to an antenna. I was going to just copy shows from the other one so I can watch them while I exercise. Transferring them online isn't too terrible if it goes reasonably quickly.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok; but the following statement doesn't reflect what should be expected for a wired network connection between the boxes:
    You should be able to stream content between boxes, including between Hydra/TE4 and Encore/TE3 boxes, with nearly zero difference to playing and navigating local content. (You're not characterizing Powerline as a wired network connection, are you?)

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Where are you seeing the quoted text re: 24 hours? Transfers initiated via TiVo Online should queue nearly immediately, in my experience.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If this is the page where you found that "24 hours" text...

... the 24 hour window for changing those settings can be shortened by forcing manual TiVo service connections on each DVR.

13. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Oh weird. I have them connected with a gigabit switch. I don't have any other network issues that I'm aware of. I just always figured that Tivo playing over network wasn't super great.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What brand & model # switch? You should most definitely be able to just stream shows between two DVRs connected to the same network switch. (Gigabit doesn't much matter since the 4-tuner Roamio's are limited by their Fast Ethernet interface.)

15. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    It's a Netgear switch, but it does go through a gigabit router too. There aren't any firewall rules blocking anything on the internal network (or there shouldn't be). I always assumed the issue was the Tivo. I'll try connecting them directly through the switch if I can find a long enough cable.

When I try to pull up my old Tivo from the new one it now says that no compatible devices are found on the network.

16. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I found a cable, looks like the router is the issue. It worked w/out issue when I found a long network cable. I've been meaning to upgrade to dd-wrt, maybe I need to do that this weekend then.

krkaufman likes this.
  17. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Yeah, it's totally the router. I was pretty sure it wasn't doing any filtering on the internal network. It's doing something. I guess I'll have to figure that out. Thanks for the help.

krkaufman likes this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Network efficiency aside, have you been able to use TiVo Online to be able to initiate show transfers between boxes? Or is the need to transfer eliminated if you can just stream the content between boxes?

See: TiVo Online :: Transfer Recordings

Also, at least one other person has reported success, tonight, in downgrading their Roamio from Hydra. (Or at least they report that the downgrade is in-progress.) See here.

greensky likes this.
  19. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm actually downgrading now .all of a sudden it just let me. I still think I have a riuter isseu, but I'll be a lot happenlr with the old ui.

None of the files from online ever started transferring over.

20. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    The downgrade just finished successfully. Hooray! I'm back on the old UI. I'm also able to copy files over. Woot!

Mikeguy, krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.