New remote: DVR 1/2 switch being ignored

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JosB, Dec 26, 2006.

1. JosB

JosB New Member

Sep 13, 2006

Advertisements

Remote Address setup:
    Series3 -> 1
    Series2 -> 2

With the old remote, the DVRs honor the switch position: when set to 1 the Series2 ignores any commands, and vice versa.

However, the new remote controls both DVRs at the same time, regardless of switch position. This makes the new remote as good as unusable with two DVRs.

What am I missing? :confused:

Jos

2. joker81

joker81 New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Seattle,...
    You have to redo the setup on the new remote that you had to do with the old remotes. Pressing the the Tivo button and something else I forget + the 1 button when you are on switch one then repeat on switch two when pressing 2.

3. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Also, in my case, I needed to unplug the Tivos one at a time, while I was setting the control to 1 or 2.

Even covering the IR input on the box I was not trying to change did not work.

I suspect that the new remote may be sending a stronger IR signal than the old one did.

4. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Sounds like you could use a little "Harmony" in your life. :)

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Just go to a different room. Hold the TiVo and pause button for a few seconds until the red LED is solid then enter the remote code, 0-9. and then slide the switch to 2 and repeat.
    I have eight tiVos right now all on different remote codes.

6. JosB

JosB New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    OK, I'll give this advice a shot and report back tonight.

Perhaps my mistake was that I wasn't setting the DVR switch correctly when doing the Remote Address setup. I envisioned this being a DVR thing, not a remote thing, in the sense that I'm assuming (probably wrongly) that the remote always sends a DVR address sequence and the DVR itself only listens to signals when they have its own address (1 or 2) OR when its Remote Address is set to 0, in which case it accepts any.

The Harmony seems nice (a friend has one) but I'm not crazy about the dinky buttons and layout. When our HDTV arrives sometime this Spring such a device may have enough added value but so far we seem to manage without.

Thanks people!

Jos

7. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Exactly - you've got to program the remote, once that is done you'll be good to go!

8. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    You program the remote for 1 and 2 or whatever numbers you like. I put a piece of aluminum foil over the whole front bezel of the TiVo not being programmed at the time. Go into System Information, scroll down til you see the remote setting. Put the remote DVR switch to one or two, the press any button and you will see the number for the remote setting change to the one you preprogrammed into the remote.

Repeat for the second TiVo covering the first with the foil.

Good Luck.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    What I finally figured out is that there are 9 different code sets (plus the "match any" set 0), and you tell the remote which code set you want to use on the 1 and 2 switch positions of a given remote, and independently, you tell the TiVo which code set you want it to respond to. You can put set 5 in position 1, and set 1 in position 2, and tell the TV to respond to set 4 (from a different remote). In other words, you can have up to nine TiVo's with distinct code sets, but a given remote can only switch between two of the code sets at a time.

10. JosB

JosB New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yep, that's how it would appear to work. Pretty clever actually.

After following the above advice all is good :) Thanks again for your help guys!

Jos

11. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I have been unable to make the DVR switch to work with my current setup.
    I actually think it is related to my Harmony remote.

I have added my S3 to my Devices and setup the Activity but I think when I use my Harmony remote it resets both Tivo's to the '"match any" set 0' remote setting.
    Any thoughts?

12. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks for all the replies. ;)
    I discovered the issue and also configured my Harmony remote.

1.) Do not test your remote's DVR switch while on the 'System Information' screen.
    -Step #5 in the RTFM (pg 53) clearly says point the remote at the DVR, press your number, and then 'right arrow'. The remote address should indicate this change.
    -The problem is that pressing the number programs the remote. Sending the 'right arrow' sets the IR-Code on the Tivo DVR.

*Again do not test your remote's DVR switch while on the 'System Information' screen.

2.) I was finally able to set the Harmony remote up so the IR Code Sets were 1 & 2.

All is well.

13. vnavone

vnavone New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    bobharp, can you please elaborate on how you did this? I've been looking all over the Harmony site for info on how to do this with no luck.

14. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    1.) Set up both your TiVos with the Peanut remote (if you have a 2nd remote change that one too or pull the batteries and don't use it).
    2.) Set up both TiVo devices in the Harmony Software.
    -I found a reference on this forum for Harmony code-sets for TiVo. Set up goes something like this with the Harmony setup program:
    -Select the TiVo device.
    -More Options |Confirm Infrared Commands
    -Select "I have a remote, but would like to select from a list of command sets my
    device supports".
    -Then select the command set you want to use:
    Set2451 = 0
    Set2452 = 1
    Set2543 = 2
    -I was able to follow these steps for the first TiVo while configuring my remote "during my lunch break" ;) at work (Harmony web site) but the site did not have the 2453 code-set.
    3.) Back at home I updated the remote with my changes. Confirmed the change in code-set for the #1 TiVo.
    4.) Switched the DVR switch on your TiVo remote and had the Harmony remote learn the command set for the #2 TiVo.
    -all I had to do was go through 2 IR learning commands to get it set right.

Oddly this has been the first time the Logitech/Harmony support has been less than stellar.

Good Luch and Happy New Year!

15. vnavone

vnavone New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the info! I was able to switch my Series 3 remote to Set2452. So if the Harmony site did not have the 2453 code-set how did you get it? Or did you leave one of the Tivo's on 2451? Doesn't this still control both boxes?

16. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I had it learn the IR commands for the 2nd TiVo after I set up the TiVo remote. I did not want to leave it at 2451 (0). It only took 2 commands with the software and is working well. I still have some tweaking to do but it can wait.

17. vnavone

vnavone New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    That did it. Thanks, Bob!