New "Record to TiVo" service on Zap2it.com

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Schmye Bubbula, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I first noticed today on the Zap2it.com TV listings that there is a new service to directly record shows over the web from Zap2it. Presumably it is a convenient venue to the existing TiVo over-the-web scheduling.

In the listings, click on a a show title to bring up the show info page, and in the left margin is the TiVo guy icon with a "Record to TiVo" link:
    --
    Now you can schedule recordings of your favorite programs by linking your TiVo® boxes with Zap2it!

WHAT IS TIVO?
    With the amazing TiVo® service, you can schedule recordings of your favorite show anytime, anywhere right from Zap2it. What are you waiting for?

1. Control live TV: pause, rewind, slo-mo and instant replay
    2. Easy digital recordings - no tapes, timers or worries
    3. Find and record by title, actor, team or keyword with a WishList® search
    4. Never miss an episode with Season Pass™ recordings
    5. Take your favorite shows with you on DVD or your laptop

See the requirements below:

Requirements
    1. TiVo.com user account (Register for free here)
    2. TiVo® Series2™ or above DVR* (Buy a TiVo DVR here)

*Not available for DirecTV subscribers who have TiVo service as a part of their satellite subscription. You must have a standalone TiVo® Series2™ DVR or above to use this service.

2. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    --------------------------
    Now if Zap2It would open up this as a true web 2.0 service, we can actually start to leverage these scheduling services via other internet means like our mobile phones, etc. I don't have an account with Verizon, nor do I believe I should have to pay a little extra for the convience. This is something TiVo could have been doing with WAP all along.

-----------------
    Interesting Zap2IT just announced it was dumping the free xml service that MythTV (open source; hobby DVR) users have depended on...now they're looking to have to pay a non-profit that is providing their guide data service via one of the guide data services (albeit at very small annual cost).

Looks like TiVo and Tribune are extending their partnership even further this type of visual integration of services.

TiVo has to pay Tribune a lot of money for guide data, so I wonder what prompted all the moves? I'm sure TiVo was livid about the fact that they were paying for the guide data when others are able to get it for free....now that's apparently changing with a stronger relationship with TiVo.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I was under the impression that TiVo got more information than the free access provided, which was used by, for example, the TiVo suggestion engine.

4. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    WOOHOOO! I just set up a Tivo recording from my Blackberry. The page layout doesn't translate very well, but it's usable.

5. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Absolutely, you are correct..they get a lot more information from Tribune than the basic guide data....I'm merely speculating...the timing is uncanny.