New problem with multi-room streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by yawitz, Apr 13, 2019.

1. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I've recently (in the last couple of days) had problems with multi-room streaming between my Roamio and my other TiVos (one Premiere, one BOLT). The Premiere and BOLT see each other, and stream between them, just fine. The Roamio, however, just started failing to work with either of the other devices. For example, from the Roamio:
    • Attempts to view the program list on the BOLT return the "Not In Your Account" error (V106).
    • Attempts to view the program list on the Premiere work, but trying to stream a show results in a "Problem Playing Video" error.
    I spent hours with tech support, with no success so far. Troubleshooting steps I've tried/hoops I've jumped through include:
    • Power-cycling my cable modem/gateway and router (modem from Comcast/Xfinity, router an Apple Time Capsule).
    • Power-cycling all TiVos.
    • Made multiple service connections on all TiVos.
    • Checked IP addresses on the gateway; they match the values reported on corresponding TiVos.
    • Successfully downloaded a show from the Roamio to my laptop (on the same network), using the cTiVo app for MacOS.
    • Swapped ethernet cables/ports between the Roamio and the BOLT, in case there was a problem with the physical connection.
    Tech support claims there is something wrong with my network, but I can't yet figure out what it would be, or how to demonstrate that they are wrong. Given the wording of the error message, it sure seems like it's a problem on the TiVo end.
    • Interestingly, they claim to see an IP address with a different subnet for my Roamio; the address they read off to me is different from the one I see on my end (which is on the same subnet as my other devices). They claim the different subnet for the Roamio is the problem, but as mentioned above, they are demonstrably on the same subnet. Why would they see this, and would it provide a clue for the problem I'm having?
    Things to note:
    • This had been working reliably for years. I did not make any changes to my network before this problem surfaced.
    • Using TiVo's horrible current iOS app, I can stream to my iPad from the BOLT, but setup for the Roamio fails during the "checking activation status" step.
    • I also tried using TiVo Online to test, and can play BOLT shows successfully, but not Roamio shows. (Is this considered a different issue than my MRS problem, and confirmation of a problem on the TiVo end, or could this be another symptom of what TiVo claims is a network issue on my end?)
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for either additional troubleshooting to try, or magic words to use with tech support to get them to fix a problem on their end?

Thanks,
    Mitch

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you try:
    Log into your tivo.com account and go into DVR Preferences, make sure all your boxes are checked for sharing/transfers.
    Save if any changes. Force Tivo service connections on all Tivo boxes.

3. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Yup, did all of those things; no change.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you tried to use the Roamio's internal wireless? It's not great and can't feed a Mini, but should handle MRS.

5. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I tried using the iOS app, which fails during setup (at the "Checking activation status" step). Is there some other means to use this that I don't know about?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I thought your issue was viewing content on the Roamio from other TiVo boxes on your network.

7. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Yes, that is also true. Many problems involving the Roamio (can't stream to it from Premiere or BOLT, can't stream from it to BOLT, Premiere, TiVo Online or iOS app).

Streaming still works between BOLT and Premiere. TiVo Online and mobile devices all can stream from BOLT and Premiere. Problem seems to be centered on the Roamio.

After a few hours of troubleshooting with TiVo support, they finally agreed to escalate the issue, but no software experts were available today (a Saturday). Promised a response on Monday. We'll see.

8. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Sorry, may be crossing wires here, Joe. Is there a way to stream from Roamio to another TiVo or iOS app via wireless that I should try? Streaming to iOS devices works for BOLT, not for Roamio, but I think I'm accessing them via my wireless router, not directly via the internal wifi for the TiVos in question.

9. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    For those following along, here are my notes from the second troubleshooting session with TiVo support mention above:
    • Connected Roamio and BOLT directly to Time Capsule (bypassing hub)—no change.
    • Refreshed IP Addresses for all TiVos and forced all connections—no change.
    • Checked Whole Home/Advanced Help troubleshooting on all TiVos:
      • On Roamio: Neither device streams. Premiere shows as supported. BOLT is grayed out, with error message:
        • “Problem With Account: A problem with your account might be preventing you from streaming or transferring shows between this TiVo boy and the TiVoBOLT (BOLT+). To resolve this issue, please call 1-877-367-8486.”
      • On BOLT, Only Premiere streams. Premiere and Roamio show as supported, but BOLT is listed twice (!), first and fourth in list.
      • On Premiere, only BOLT streams. Roamio and BOLT show as supported.
    • Checked all TiVos via web browser (tivo/MAK login). All devices visible.
    • Reiterated that TiVo online can stream from BOLT, but not from Roamio.
      • Program list for Roamio is visible, but stream option not available.
      • Can’t stream from Premiere, but not sure if that ever worked.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My best guess is to compare the Network Troubleshooting, Network Status with all the other devices. Except for the last octet in the IP address they should all match.

11. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Thanks for that (and all of your other) suggestions, it's most appreciated. Yes, had already done that and reported during troubleshooting call. All TiVos show similar values (10.0.0.nnn), differing only in the last octet.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point, but will continue to work through the troubleshooting steps and calls. I suspect there's either a problem with my account on the TiVo end, or some corruption on this particular device that repeating guided setup (tried earlier today) did not fix.

JoeKustra likes this.
  12. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You might need to call Tivo CS to see what problem its having.

13. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Yup, that's what I've been up to for the last couple of days. Finally got first level support to admit they don't know what's wrong either. I'll report back after Monday, when the second level team gets involved.

14. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Try:

Direct Ethernet connection.
    Different router.
    Different modem.

15. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Verify wires and speeds.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This would seem to be the issue. What does it show under TiVo To Go on the System Information page for each TiVo (I believe you want a, a, a, a). If not, try toggle the settings in your account for that TiVo off and then back on again.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  17. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Also rename the Roamio, do a daily call. Wait 30 minutes, do a daily call on everyone else. Wait 30 minutes, do a daily call on the Roamio. It's crude and silly, but there's a certain class of "suddenly this box won't talk to any of his friends" problem that it solves. It resets/resyncs, something...

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. yawitz

yawitz Member

Apr 2, 2007
    @Sparky1234 I did try bypassing the ethernet hub, but needed the router so I could connect the two TiVos. I don't believe the TiVos can connect to each other, in an isolated fashion, without a hub or router to mediate the connection. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.) Also, cables have been checked, swapped and verified. Problem follows the TiVo, not the cable or connection. Speeds seem to be OK, given that I can download shows from the problematic TiVo to my Mac, with good download performance.

@HerronScott I had already checked the status on the System Information page, and all devices show a, a, a, a, as per the posted troubleshooting page on TiVo's website (Multi-Room Viewing Troubleshooting). In fact I had already run through this page before contacting tech support. That's why I still think there is a problem with my account on TiVo's side.

@kdmorse I did not try the steps you outlined. I will see what second level support says tomorrow (Monday) before spending more time on this, but if they come up empty, I'll be open to this and any other yet-untried suggestions.

Note also that
    • I can't stream or download from the Roamio to my iOS devices. (Setup for the Roamio fails during the "checking activation status" step on the iOS TiVo app.)
    • I can't stream from the Roamio to a web browser on my Mac. I can see the device, and the program lists, but the option to play a show is not provided. (This works fine from my BOLT on the same network.)
    Does anyone have any insight as to whether these features also rely on multi-room streaming infrastructure (and thus are explained by the same root issue), or if they are separate issues that might shed light on the actual root cause?

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

19. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Did you log into TiVo and ensure multi-room is turned on for the Roamio?

20. Tom76017

Tom76017 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Fort Worth, TX
    I can't offer any solutions. My Mini is now momentarily pausing for unknown reasons. The Roamio Plus seems to be working fine with a WiFi connection. The Mini is using Ethernet. Streaming to the Mini works fine with Prime, YouTube, Netflix, but the Roamio connection is frustrating. I've tried 2 different Mini's with the same results.