New problem since GSOD - No timed recordings play

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ukcobra, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Since my lifetime sub'd Tivo had a problem, the disc has been replaced and rebuilt with an LBA48 Kernel image, and copykern run.

It downloads the updates fine, the programme data can be searched and manual recordings record perfectly.

With a timed (unattended) recording, the entry appears in now playing with the correct title, but when you go to play it, there is no recording to play, or any description of the programme.

You then get the option to delete the recording or leave it.

I did a couple of tests and can repeat it every time. Manual recordings always work fine.
    The TIVO can change chanels OK. The setup appears fine, with the external unit being described as a Satelite receiver.

What is the most probable cause ?
    What actions do I need to take ?

Thanks

Mark

P.S FYI the disk was originally from an XP system, formatted in NTFS and restored from a Tivo image with the -s option, a 255 swap size, and other options -r 4 -xzpi

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Try rebuilding with a fresh image. It sounds like corruption.

3. Cainam

Cainam Tivo Evangelist

May 25, 2004
    Chester-le-S...
    The only time I have seem that sort of thing is when Tivo cannot see the program on the correct input source i.e. it is trying to record from Scart, and you do not have anything plugged into the Scart socket, or the box connected to the Scart socket is turned off.

After you restored the hard drive image you did re-run Guided Set-up to tell Tivo about the different recording sources?

One other thing - I am sure I have read on here somewhere that changing digital sources (e.g. from Sky to Freeview, both via Aux) does not work properly, and you have to first say run GS once, saying you only have analogue TV (to clear everything out), and then run it again (saying you have digital TV)

So if you have a backup image from someone with a different input source to you, it cannot harm to try that

4. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    I did not re-run the guided setup, and that was on my list of things to try. I'll have a go when I get home tonight.

It was someone else's image, and it is possible it's corrupted. However, I'm not sure how that would explain why hitting the record button works, but the timed recording does not.

Thanks

Mark

5. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    No swap file (either not present or not initialised correctly) causes this type of error.

Look in kernel.log during boot up to see of the swap file is found and initialised correctly.

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Sorry - I assumed you had. That's a no-brainer really.

7. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Yes it is really. I should have gone back to basics. I did check the setup and it appeared to be the same as mine, but I should really have not assumed that. Either way, it's a quick and easy thing to do.

8. ukcobra

ukcobra New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Reading
    Found root cause. SCART cables were switched, which would explain why it worked when the TV was on, but not when it was off.

Clearly I had switched them when I had been removing the Tivo from the TV stand.

I did not need to run the guided setup, although the Sky Box details were different.

Mark