New Pricing Model Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ballz1340, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ballz1340

ballz1340 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Should be fairly easy questions to answer but so far I have not been able to find anything on TiVo.com to help me.

I had two TiVo's under the old pricing model (pay for the box 12.95 a month for first box, 6.95 for the second). Recently my house was struck by lighting and one of my TiVo's was fried. I just want to buy a new one online. How will the new pricing model work with my old TiVo? I was planning on getting the 3-year commitment to keep the 12.95 monthly cost. Will that keep my current TiVo at 6.95?

Additionally with the 3 year commitment, lets say this new box is fried before the 3 years is up. Can I purchase another box for the duration of the commitment or am I forced to continue paying without being able to transfer the service?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you buy any TiVo from Tivo.com it does not qualify for the multi Service Discount (MSD), however it will be a "qualifying subscription" meaning your existing TiVo can continue to receive the $6.95 MSD price.

With the 3 year commitment or 3 year prepaid if the box dies before the 3 years is up you can sub in another box - also sometimes TiVo will offer a replacement box for a fee.

Good Luck,

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually the Tivo website changed at midnight last night to provide MSD for boxes ordered from them. If you log in and place order it will actually show the discounted price.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you haven't yet canceled the dead box, you can go an buy a box and change the TSN on the account, paying the same as you did before, with no further commitment.

5. ballz1340

ballz1340 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    I contacted TiVo's help desk and was told the same thing until they found out the dead box was not purchased from TiVo.com (it is a Humax box) because of this he said that wouldn't work. Is this in fact correct?

6. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    there is also recent language change in the MSD policy (which can be canceled at any time) to read:

https://www3.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html

A. MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT for New Subscriptions Only. Beginning July 19, 2007, the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT will ONLY be applied to eligible new TiVo service subscriptions (defined below). The MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT cannot be applied to existing TiVo service subscriptions. For purposes of clarity, this means, for example, that if you have an existing full-priced Monthly Subscription to the TiVo service and then purchase a Prepaid Subscription to the TiVo service, the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT cannot be applied to your existing full-priced Monthly Subscription, only future new eligible TiVo service subscriptions (defined below). Existing TiVo service subscription are not eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. However, TiVo service subscriptions currently receiving the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT shall continue to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT as long as their remains a Qualifying Subscription on the same TiVo customer account.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    That's a bunch of bull crap.

If you acquire another Tivo (the source and condition {new or used} is irrelevant) all you have to do is log-in to your tivo.com account and and choose "Change Service Number" If you have more than one Tivo subscription, you need to choose which tivo you want to unsubscribe and then enter the TSN of the replacement Tivo.

8. ballz1340

ballz1340 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    That's what I figured. The guy on the phone sounded as though he really didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I will just buy a new box and transfer the service then.

Thanks for the help all!