New Premiere XL video problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Scott2323, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Scott2323

Scott2323 Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Last night my father got a Premiere XL. When we hooked up through HDMI connector there wasn't any picture. So I hooked up the composite to get a picture. The picture came up as soon I composite was connected and I went back to the HDMI. But the screen says that my HD TV wasn't supported. Then it booted up fine but it was stuck on the SDUI instead of the HDUI. So I went to settings>displays and there wasn't an option to switch to the HDUI. It also upgraded to new 20.0 software. I also hooked it up in his bedroom HDTV and still no option to change to HDUI. Also I got a card for free 6 months of Hulu Plus at Best Buy. Can I use Hulu plus with SDUI? Any suggestions? Thank you,

Scott

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Make sure you have 720p or 1080i checked as an output under video settings else TiVo will automatically prevent you from using HDUI which sounds like your case.

3. Scott2323

Scott2323 Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Thanks moyekj. I have tried both on 720P and 1080i checked and still no option for HDUI.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't use HDUI over composite. You will need to use component or HDMI. It's possible your tv doesn't support 1080i. Try setting it to 720p only. If that doesn't work, you need to use component.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Check your TV settings as well - make sure widescreen, 16:9 is selected.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think you mean it's saying that HDCP isn't supported.

Try another HDMI cable, possibly.

Also, a side issue, but if for some reason you're using another TV input, the Tivo's output will be DISABLED if you also have it connected through HDMI. e.g. your TV has 2 HDMI outputs, but you're currrently watching the OTHER HDMI port. The Tivo's output won't work (e.g. to a DVD recorder), because it isn't seeing the HDCP connection.

Yes, it stinks, and is a major reason why I rarely use the HDMI connection.