New Premiere XL Comcast install - will I need Tuning Adapters?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pyperkub, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 12
    Pyperkub

Pyperkub New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Hi all, I have 2 Tivo Premieres (one XL, one Standard) arriving this week and I've got a Comcast appointment to install the Cable Cards on Saturday. My question is whether I need to make sure they have Tuning Adapters for my Tivo's. Both TV's are HD, with HDMI.

I live in Novato, CA. My Comcast office is in San Rafael. Is there any way to tell if they are using SDV (Switched Digital Video) before hand? The Comcast phone rep didn't seem to have any clue.

Thanks!

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    I don't know about your area but in Indiana Comcast doesn't do SDV so it's not an issue. I didn't think any Comcast does SDV but I don't know that as a fact.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    In SE Florida we didn't need them. Just one cable card and the install was over in 20 minutes.

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4 of 12
    Pyperkub

Pyperkub New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks. I don't want to return my comcast dvr's and find out that half my HD Programming is gone...

5. Jun 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Curious as to why Comcast does not use tuning adapters?

Do they have some kind of unique equipment or are they just lacking the number of channels as other systems. Little of both?

Luckily I'm with Comcast, Atlanta, but I'm always dreading some announcement that SDV is coming.

6. Jun 6, 2011 #6 of 12
    akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    At least here in Portland, OR a large part of the reason for not having tuning adapters is because all channel other than OTA and some local access are only available digitally (thus with some kind of box). They shut off the analog feeds, which I believe freed up a fair amount of bandwidth. I have a fair number of HD channels (I'd say 100+) available to me right now, without SDV.

7. Jun 6, 2011 #7 of 12
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess that must be how they do it here also. Only have analog up to about channel 26 here. I get 48 HD channels myself, but I'm sure many more are available with higher priced packages.

8. Jun 6, 2011 #8 of 12
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Time Warner needs to do that.

Here in Dallas, they still have the under 100 analog channels. In the digital world, you'll have the SD and HD versions of each. For local OTA, that can mean like four channels of the exact same thing.

9. Jun 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Because they don't employ SDV.

No. SDV requires a two-way system, period. UDCPs - like the TiVo -have no upstream modulator, so they require an external one: a Tuning Adapter.

'Not just the number of channels, although a properly designed SDV system can deliver an infinite number of channels. It also means no interactive programming and no specialty programming such as "Start Over".

There's nothing really to dread. In any case, the announcement will undoubtedly happen sooner or later. A 700 MHz (50 - 750MHz) bandwidth completely cleared of analog channels, but only employing linear digital carriers can handle 232 HD channels plus 116 SD channels. Utilizing half the bandwidth, a CATV provider can deliver thousands of channels via SDV, provided their system is engineered correctly.

10. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
  11. Pyperkub

Pyperkub New Member

Jun 6, 2011

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC