New Premiere to Replace old HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by troasti, Feb 7, 2012.

1. troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I have charter and I recently upgraded from a tivo HD to premiere. I simply swapped the cable card and hooked up the tuning adapter and cable from the old HD. It seems only the analog cable works. I called Charter and they claimed the new tivo needs to be paired with the card and attempted to do that from their end but it didn't work. They are sending a tech out this week. Does this seem right? Has anyone gone through the same experience?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you post the pairing info and account info (account #, address, phone #) on the DSLReports Charter Direct forum, they can fix it for you without waiting for a truck roll. You will have to create an account but if you post to the direct forum (not the regular Charter forum), it will be private only to Charter employees. Just tell them you switched your cablecard into a new TiVo and need to re-pair it. They will need the serial #, host id (on the pairing screen), and data id (on the pairing screen). The tuning adapter doesn't need to be changed as it isn't tied to the box. As long as you get a solid light on it.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, they do have to be paired.
    No, it does not require them to come to your home. The person helping you was probably incompetent. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm.

So you will waste tons of time waiting for a tech to come to your house, and then he will use his phone to call Charter read numbers back to them. Total waste of time.

4. troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Not only that but - I called Tivo yesterday and we had a 3 way call with Charter and I was on the phone for 90 minutes with the tivo rep telling them they needed to remove and re-add the card and gave them all the info to do so. It took 6 different people to even understand what he was talking about and in the end they couldn't get it to work. Oh well now they have to pay a tech to come to the house and fix it. Waste everyones time and money because they can't train their techs how to deal with cable cards.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Just contact UMatter2Charter. I've done about 7 or 8 cablecards with them over the years. Truck rolls are waste of time.