New Premiere Thoughts

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by HeatherA, May 20, 2011.

1. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I ordered a refurbished Premiere on Monday and it's due to be delivered today. I've been reading everyone's comments about the system and despite the negatives I'm quite excited to add this to our home.

After 4 months of being with a new (to our area) cable provider, I just realized that the copy protection that was on my old cable cards doesn't exist any longer and we'll now have MRV from all three units. That alone makes me happy to get another unit that records HD.

I can't wait to use the iPad app. I've been waiting for the HD support they say is going to come, and seeing the little TiVo guy staring at me from my iPad has just been a taunt. Haha.

I'm hoping that the HDUI is not as bad as I've read it is. The YouTube videos I've seen of it make me want to use it as my default. However, if it's slow I'll end up switching back to the SDUI.

I was able to switch my billing plan to the $129 a year two days ago. Now with the price increases I wish I'd gone with the lifetime offer. I'm going to call and see if I can get them to give it to me anyway since I just switched the day before the changes. Fingers crossed.

I'm doing a self-install of my cablecard and at this point that's my biggest worry. I am hopeful that it will go off without a hitch.

I've been with TiVo for 11 years and the changes have not been leaps and bounds, but it is still by far the best DVR I've used and I always end up coming back to it. I hope the Premiere does not disappoint.

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The ipad app is pretty neat. I now use it for all my scheduling and management instead of the on-TV UI. I've even been know to use it while watching another program on the Tivo when I suddenly remember I need to schedule something.

Unfortunately the database of actor information is quite incomplete. I wish they'd add a link to imdb, or partner with imdb for sharing data.

My initial impression when I receive my Premiere was that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. It's good to have low expectations, then be pleasantly surprised.

3. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Premiere is disappointing in quite a few ways especially as a long time Tivo user, but as others have said there isn't really a better DVR out there.

Alot of the disappointment, at least for me, is lack of progress in almost all areas and, 2nd, the unresponsiveness of the HDUI.

But still best in class video playback. Best SEason Pass/recording functionality. Nicest remote arguably. Does the job as an Amazon VoD extender as well. Even if some of this stuff hasn't been refined much since I've been an owner.

4. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Our family uses the HDUI on all three of our Premieres and have no issues with it at all. Hopefully it works well for you too.

5. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    As you know from your posting in my thread Heather, I'm also a long time TiVo, but new Premiere user. The wife and I really like the HDUI and are sticking with it even though it's slower than the SDUI on the Premiere. (Please TiVo complete the HDUI and enable the 2nd core!!). That being said, from our perspective, it is about the same speed as the SDUI on the TiVo HD boxes we replaced in some places, which we weren't thrilled about, but does look better. If you decide to use the SDUI on the Premieres it is snappier than the SDUI on the TiVo HD, but to us looks like crap. I don't know what they did to the SDUI on the Premiere, but the text has jaggies like it needs some smoothing or something. It's not as sharp as the TiVo HD's SDUI. All in all I'm happy with our new refurb'd Premieres. The 43% energy savings alone is worth the switch for me and the much faster network transfers between the two boxes is awesome. I transferred a 1 hour recording from last night between my new Premieres and it only took about 20 minutes! :D

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Roughly the same here... we have two Premieres and use the HDUI on both. I wouldn't say we've had NO issues - there's been a couple of reboots, quiiite a few "thumbs down thumbs up play play" menu resets (by the way, that "trick" should be easier to find in the forum - I bet lots of people who have issues with new Premieres would benefit from it) and several "spinning green circles of death" but to be honest they haven't been enough of an issue to really bother us. The HDUI definitely has its benefits and the video window lets me do stuff without annoying other family members TOO much.

Leaving aside for the moment how disturbing it is that our 5-year-old knows how to do a thumbs-down-thumbs-up-play-play reset on the Tivo... ;)

7. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    After 2 frustrating hours with WOW, getting my cablecard working properly, my refurb Premiere is up and running nicely. My MYDVR expander is attached, my season passes and my shows from the TiVoHD are transferred over (less than 3 hours for about 10 hours of shows) and my iPad app is up and running. The refurb looks like it's brand new. If it didn't come in a brown box I'd have no clue it was a refurb.

I noticed the HDUI was very slow while getting the TiVo set up and all the data processed. We kept it on SDUI and just switched back over a bit ago and notice it's quite a bit snappier. I like the menu navigation much better than the SDUI.

I also love the backlit remote but the placement of the select button is causing me to hit the MUTE button often in its stead. I'm used to resting my thumb on the select button while using the remote so that will take a bit to get used to.

Oh and one last thing... the size of the box is great! It's so much smaller than my TiVoHD...

8. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    I kept it on SDUI menus while transferring everything over as well.;) Not only did it seem to bring things to a crawl when transferring from my TiVo HD boxes, but I figure why waste the processor power on the HDUI while trying to transfer so much. I had 52 hours to transfer from one box and about 90 or so from another. Man that 90+ took 2 days.:D Glad to have the much faster transfer between two Premieres now.

I agree with the brand new look out of the box. Both of my refurb Premieres had 5/2011 manufacture dates and looked brand spanking new. I love the smaller size and energy savings compared to the TiVo HD.

Glad to hear you finally got yours and are enjoying it as I am.

9. VideoRoy

VideoRoy Member

May 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just got my Premiere working last night as well and so far it is great and I have high hopes!

Of course this is the second box since I had to return the first one immediately since it would not recognize a cable card. Just greyed out and never accepted it. I usually do not buy a lot from BestBuy but in this case I am glad I did because it was a 10 minute return and I am up and running for the weekend.

I have had the TWC / Comast SA 8300HD for about 7 years. We used to really like it then the upgrade to the improved GUI and the continual monthly fees almost killed it for me. Once they switched to all digital last week and my all digital TVs would no longer work :eek:, I decide to kick Comcast equipment to the curb. Other than cable cards and one DTA so I can convert my digital to analog so my digital kitchen TV can get the Family Channel I am done.

I am going to run this Premiere for a couple of weeks and once everyone is comfortable with how it works, I will buy the second and flush the SA8300.

The other big plus for me since I have to decomission my HTPC due to the same all digital problem (all analog channels not remapped to clear QAM), I am very plesantly surprised to see I could download shows to my PC and there is an active developer community write tools to do a lot of cool stuff for free.

24 hours in and I am knocking wood it continues to be a good experience.

10. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Quick tip for my fellow Premiere newbies, if you haven't discovered already.

The "Slow" button hides the PIP window in the HDUI.

I have used this quite often. Say you come back to "My Shows" after watching something and find both tuners are recording. You may not want to hear or see any of a program that is in the middle of recording, so hit "Slow" to quickly hide the window and the audio goes away with it.;) This can also speed up HDUI navigation a tad when turned off.

I mapped the "Slow" button on my Harmony One Universal remote to the "Stop" button since there is no "Stop" in TiVo.

11. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    I also have a tip... try not to hit "play" while in the HDUI because I did and got the lovely spinning green doughnut. Luckily I found a thread that got me out of it without rebooting, but I hope I don't see that thing again any time soon!

12. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Yep, that's why we got the new TiVo... my husband isn't a fan of TiVo and prefers MCE, but our recent switch to all digital took away his favorite channels and made the MCE's useless except for backup recordings of the local nets we still get and what we get via our HD antenna. So when the refurb deal popped up he told me to go for it. I got a new toy and he inherited my TiVoHD.

13. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    I didn't even look at my manufacturing date... where would I find that?

I am loving some of the new features in the HDUI... it's quite the change from the old SDUI and makes playing with the Premiere fun. I like the changes... no they're not earth shattering but enough to make me feel like I have definitely made an upgrade.

14. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    It's on the top left on the back of the box. For instance mine says...

Made in Mexico
    11-May-11

Which makes me think I didn't get actual refurbs, I got new boxes, as I received mine on the 16th of May???

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They assign new TiVo Service numbers for refurbs so it is probably more just that was when the refurb was assembled.

16. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX

Ahhh, that makes sense.:eek:

17. galant

galant New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Ok. Well, I'm getting ready to install my new Premiere, and stop using my Series 2 DT. It has been sitting in a box on the floor since Christmas 2010. I know, don't laugh. I've been busy...lol. But I absolutely adore TiVo....can't live without it!

Not having done a lot of research first, or even a little, I bought it and realized, well, I don't even have a HD television yet. So, for now it should be pretty simple for me to master. Maybe by the time I get a HD television, the bugs I read about will be worked out. Or improved upon. Or whatever. And I've not been doing the record two shows at once since I received my first Tivo anyway, so I'm not fooling with any cablecards for now either. I'll be moving in a few months or so, and I'll wait till I get a new television to concern myself with that. In the mean time, can't wait to use it anyway.

I'll be back if this gets too difficult.....
    Galant

18. deepthinker

deepthinker Member

Oct 25, 2002
    DFW, TX
    I want to revise and add to my tip on the PIP window.

The one thing I ran into having "Slow" mapped to my "Stop" hard button and "Live TV" to my "Exit" hard button on my Harmony remote is that I couldn't figure out how to get back to a recorded program playing in the PIP window. When I would hit "Exit", bam I was back into "Live TV", and then would have to navigate back to the program in "My Shows". In the past I never used "Slow" and rarely used the "LiveTV" button. Why you can't just use an "Exit" button instead of "Live TV" or just navigate to the PIP window is goofy.

I find it pretty stupid that TiVo took away the actual "Exit" button from the peanut remote. I do have an old peanut remote with the "Exit" button, but read on TCF that using it in the HDUI can lock up the box.:( Since I never RTFM, I searched TCF to find how to get to the PIP window without going to Live TV and found nothing. However a Google search did turn up the solution.

To get the HDUI to go away and switch to PIP window you hit "Zoom", which I didn't even have mapped to a hard or soft button.
    :rolleyes:

Years ago when I loved the PIP window of DirecTV/Microsoft UltimateTV boxes, and wished badly TiVo had one when I switched over. Who could have known that the addition of one to TiVo would be such a PITA! I thought TiVo was known for being more intuitive than everyone else!:rolleyes:

So here is my Harmony remote TiVo solution, since I already have TV Sleep, Receiver Sleep, Red, Blue, Thumbs Up, and Thumbs Down on the six LCD soft buttons, and don't want to have to page over the LCD for one of the three Zoom, Live TV, or Slow keys. Get rid of the "Slow" key. If we don't want to hear or see what's in the PIP window when we find it recording two things then we just start using "Pause" instead of "Slow". I'll then map the "Exit" hard button to "Zoom" and the "Stop" hard button to "Live TV". Having "Live TV" on the "Stop" hard button makes the most sense anyway. If you don't like what's on one Tuner, "Stop/Live TV" and it switches to the other tuner in addition to leaving a recording and going to "Live TV".