New Premiere, cableCARD, Comcast in Houston

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by 20TIL6, Apr 1, 2010.

1. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

Wanted to share what could be helpful to others.

Yesterday I hooked up my new Premiere XL, and picked up a cablecard from my nearest Comcast service center. Went through the process here, self-install, then call Comcast and provide card SN, Host ID. Did not activate. Rep told me to wait a few hours and if they did not come in by then, I would need to exchange cards.:( Only channels that would come in were locals, but not ESPN, CNN, other cable channels.

Called back this morning, still was not getting channels, but wanted to give it another shot before exchanging the card.

The Comcast rep on the phone verified that the previous rep had entered things correctly. But she said she would try something else... needed to open a different program. She called it a "Staged Hit".

It worked, and the channels came in within seconds. Everything is working.

Coincidently, my Mother has an S3 and she's had the same problems. I could never get her cards activated, after multiple calls. We gave up, and she really didn't care about not getting the digital channels. But she still had the cards. So I called Comcast again this morning, different rep, and asked him to issue a "Staged Hit" to her cards. It worked again. Instantly.

So I think the magic cableCARD activation words are "Staged Hit".

On a side-note, any of you fellow Comcast/Houston TiVo users having problems with 601, SPEEDHD. Heavy break-up and tiling lately. Unwatchable. Happening across all my TiVo units.

Thanks, hope this helps others.

2. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    :up:

Setting up Comcast cablecard tomorrow, thanks for the heads up!

3. tlarosa

tlarosa New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    The Comcast "contractor" came by and slapped the card in a just left. I was really bummed to find the same problem with the additional channels (like NFL Network) not coming in. I asked them to try the "Staged hit" and they didn't know what I was talking about. They told me my only option was to replace the card. It sounds like that is not going to solve the problem and I am curious if there were any other details the houston tech revealed that the Boston folks might understand. Perhaps another way to phrase it?

4. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ask for an in-house installer (no contractor) that has experience with TiVos.

5. cautionespn

cautionespn Grand PooBah

Feb 21, 2003
    Salem,MA

Advertisements

I'm having similar problems here in Salem MA. They actually tried two cards on mine. Told me to call TiVo. I get most channels but none of the pay channels work properly and some of the newer digital channels (G4HD for example) aren't coming in.

I'm actually glad it isn't just me.