New Premier user, have to say I'm sold

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mocker, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mocker

mocker New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Picked up my first TiVo Premier last week and I'm sold. Going to get a second one for another TV in the house this week. Current setup is OTA only, no cable cards or anything like that. I've used pretty much all the DVR software out there (MythTV, XBMC with PVR add ons, Boxee, Windows Media Center, GB-PVR, etc..) and the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) of the TiVo can't be beat. :)

Combining my old HTPC with sickbeard, pyTivo + auto push works really well for pushing shows right into the now playing list.

Now I just need to get over the monthly subscription fees. :(

Some questions:

Once I get the second TiVo, how well does the multi-room setup work? What should I expect to be able to do?

Any other cool things long time users know that I may not have figured out yet?

2. xbr23

xbr23 Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Tivo's are awesome! welcome to the club. the wife approval is well worth the cost of the Tivo subscription. i recommend sucking it up and buying the lifetime subscription, it's cheaper in the long run and you can easily sell a Tivo box when it has the lifetime subscription included. i had 2 boxes (Elite and PXL) and some shows transferred easily but others would not. i don't know if it was me, Tivo or copyright protection issues.

don't get sucked into the vortex of the "premiere sucks". i had a PXL since release date and it had 1 HD failure but Tivo replaced the box and i never had another problem with it. i also recently bought the Elite when it came out. the Elite has been perfect out of the box. i also run/ran the HD menus on both. some people dislike the HD menus but i never had any issues.

again, welcome. there are far more knowledgeable members on here that will gladly chime in to help.

Short hand info: Elite=Premier Elite, PXL=Premier XL, HD menu=High Def menu, SD=standard def menu. this short hand terminology is used extensively on this forum.

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    With OTA you won't have any issues with multiroom. Currently TiVo transfers rather than streams so your only option is to pull from another TiVo.

I would also suggest you check out KMTTG. It is a great program for use with any Premiere model.

Oh and also look into the Slide remote. It really is an excellent remote and well worth the money.

4. drknapp

drknapp Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I just went live with two units OTA last weekend (switched from fios). We are really happy with the units (especially the $120 a month savings). The multi room works well (we are hardwired). We had the media server DVR with fios and feel this works almost as well. You can start watching a program while right after it starts transferring, so there isn't too much delay.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I know it is a big out of pocket expense, but consider lifetime service. The payback is great, and if you decide to sell in the future the unit keeps a significant portion of that value (compared with monthly service).

6. mocker

mocker New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Once I do the one year commit to the monthly payment can I switch at any time to the lifetime subscription?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If it's during the inital money back period you can. but after that you would still need to pay the remaining amount due on the contract. At least this is how it used to be.

8. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    If you really love it, stay out of these forums! ;)

9. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    Keep in the forums!!!!