New Poster Here, so this could be a

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by renkablue, Sep 23, 2007.

1. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007

Advertisements

I am new to Tivo boards...purchased on ebay series 2 80 hr . This has probably been posted before...but newbies just don't know how to read and search all the tech stuff. I have even gone internet searching about the Vonage connection and an initial set up for my Tivo when I receive it by Friday 9/28. I have learned that since I have broadband I can try an adapter ethernet connection. I need to know the flow chart of how this is done. TV will be in living area and computer is in a nearby bedroom. My set up is CPU...router...internet modem....linksys Vonage equipment. Vonage has 4 ethernet ports. My cpu has 1 USB port (printer is using that, but I can disconnect and connect the ethernet adapter for the initial set up for TIVO. AM I CORRECT IN MY LOGIC? How do I get the TIVO set up screen to show on TV when I have the TIVO in my bedroom near the CPU? Hard WIRE WHERE OR WHAT?

Help, thanks :) :rolleyes:

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You will need to buy a supported USB ethernet adapter that connects to the TiVo; the USB ports on your PC are not touched. Then you would run an ethernet cable between the TiVo and your router. If the router is wireless, then what would work better is to buy the TiVo wireless adapter and plug that into the TiVo. Then you can use wireless network and not have to string a cable.

3. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007

Thanks Steve...you have answered part...maybe you will be able to confirm my logic...Please remember you are addressing a newbie (female, too :p ) My router is Linksys 4 port (not wireless) Two wires connected to it (one blue in Port 1, Port 2 is (i think to cpu), Port 3, 4 are empty. Then there is a port labelled internet. SO, Tivo in living area near TV, ethernet cable from Tivo to bedroom to router port. I am trying to get this set up with Vonage. Will this work??? - I would like to go wireless later after I get this in, but there is so much equipment and wires now, I am thinking I will become more confused.. :eek:
    Kay

4. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The port labeled Internet is probably connected to the cable modem. If you had a TiVo-supported USB Ethernet adapter, you would plug the adapter in to the TiVo. An ordinary "CAT5e" Ethernet cable would connect on on end to the adapter and the other end to port 3 or 4 on the router.

You want the TiVo near the TV, not the computer. This may mean a long Ethernet cable.

The Vonage adapter connects to the last unused port on the router.

Does this help?

5. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007

Advertisements

GREAT response. I will set it up initially this way....now for my Vonage phone line to get the initial set up with TIVO Service...I need to get this resolved and then I can TIVO to my hearts content....
    I will consider the wireless set up at a later point.
    Kay

6. tivoman

tivoman Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Lake...
    I just got Vonage about 2 months ago and I tested my S1 TiVo (first generation) with Vonage and I didn't have to do any special tricks. Just yesterday I hooked up my CPU through Vonage like the old days with dial up connection, I had no problems with the modems connecting. Good luck and welcome to TiVo Community.

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Many people do have problems getting TiVo to connect using Vonage. But if the software version on your TiVo is that all recent, that is, version 7 or later, you can do the initial setup over the network directly without using a phone connection.

8. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    :eek: This may be a little to early to ask, but when I get the ethernet stuff hooked up = get a screen view of "Welcome" or something like this, will I be able to find out the software version before I contact Tivo for service = OR is the service required to see the software version

I guess this is a cart before the horse type question???
    Kay

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I would just like to point out that you might get more responses to your question in the future if your thread title was something other than "New Poster Here, so this could be a." It helps when the actual question is in the title, so people know what the thread is about.

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you can get to the main TiVo menu, you can go to messages and settings and then system info to display the version.

11. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter
    Easily connect your TiVo® DVR to your 802.11g or 802.11b wireless home network
    Enjoy TiVoToGo™ and Multi-Room Viewing transfers, Music and Photos, Online Scheduling, and more
    Eliminates the need for a phone line, if used with a broadband connection
    Optimized wireless performance with your TiVo® DVR
    Real brushed metal base; flip-up antenna with TiVo badge
    For use with a TiVo Series2 or Series3 DVR only. Not for use with a TiVo® Series1™ DVR (with no USB ports) or DIRECTV DVR with TiVo®. Not intended to be plugged into a PC or Mac.

:D Thanks Steve, I hope I haven't frazzeled your nerves yet...and you are being very helpful and patient with my questions.

wireless home network = DOES THIS MEAN I NEED TO HAVE MY INTERNET/MODEM AND OR ROUTER TO BE WIRELESS BEFORE I PURCHASE THE TIVO ADAPTER?

...I wasn't sure if I wanted to go wireless yet, but it appears that it could work with the broadband connection and eliminate the Vonage problem. Vonage tech has said that their equipment with the ethernet ports will work if I get an adapter for the Tivo ethernet connection.

I've read postings that indicate some difficulties in getting downloads from Amazon Unbox...and (if I read correctly,) looks like the wireless downloads are having more trouble than the wired connections.

I hope I haven't confused you ?
    Kay :p

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you would need to replace your router with a wireless router before being able to use a TiVo wireless adapter. You can get wired Ethernet adapters that work on a TiVo if you want to go that route. The Linksys USB200M is a popular choice that is widely available.

13. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Going the wired network, will I be able to get the updated version software from Tivo....or do I have to go to a friend's house that has a land line phone connection to get the software update? :rolleyes:

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If the TiVo has been in use anytime in the past year, it should already have the update.

15. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    :) :) :p :p Thanks, I am waiting for it to arrive and then the set up begins...I will only check back on the posts after I get it and see if I have any other problems.
    Kay

16. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Stevel has answered the OP's question very well! Well done.

Just as a little side not, you can purchase some Routers that are both wired and wireless. That way you have the best of both Worlds.

We used to have Cable internet and Vonage. Used the Linksys Free Router that Vinage sent us, and had no problems with our Tivo units :D

Have since moved onto DSL. Our current unit is a Modem, Router (both Wired and Woreless), Hardware Firewall all in one unit. We use the wired ethernet for our Home Network, Tivos etc and use the Wireless part for our Laptops.

BTW: To the OP, welcome to the Tivo Forums and enjoy :D

17. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Fedex tracking indicates delivery Thursday 9/27...oooh hoooo!

18. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    +1-- ( I agree)

Steve you are awesome. You always just answer the question without the typical "redirection" lots of newbies get on the board. So sweet & welcoming. And informative for all! :up: :)

19. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Thank you for the kind words - I really appreciate it.

20. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    :up: