New/please explain like you would to a 7 yr. old

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by janna57, Mar 20, 2006.

1. janna57

janna57 New Member

Mar 20, 2006

Advertisements

Please Forgive my ignorance! I have had Direct TV since last summer. However, now I am interested in Tivo. From what I have been reading, I believe that I want an R10. My question is what is the lease policy that went into effect 3/1/06? Is that from Direct tv?
    If I buy DVR from ebay or whatever, I own it. I understand that I have to pay a fee of 12.95 a month to tivo service. Do I pay Direct Tv the additional 5.99 for service? I'm sorry, but this is where I am totally confused. NO matter what, I still have a 2 yr. commitment with tivo service to Direct TV? In addition, the one year to tivo? So, is that 12.95 month to tivo, 5.99 to DTV? Please break down all costs to buy DVR/tivo using Direct tv service? I belive DVR through DTV is $100 for current customers, plus a 2 yr. agreement. Also, it is leased and not owned.
    Please, spell this out for me?

2. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Clean your room 1st then I'll explain it to you. :D

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Put the Remote Down, Put it down... I said down....

What part of Down do you not understand....

You are grounded... go to your room.

(You did say like a 7yr old)

4. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Call DirecTv and tell them you want a DVR. Nothing else is important. There is no fee that you will be paying to Tivo. You will pay DirecTv an extra $5.99 a month for DVR service. They may send you either an R10 or a R15. It doesn't sound like you will notice the difference. The R10 is the old one. It has the better software today but will not be getting any new features in the future. The R15 is the new one. It will get new features as they are released. You are more likely to get sent an R15.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Now to answer your questions.

DirecTV instituded a new leasing program. Basically... you no longer own the equipment. DirecTV does.

If you by it from Ebay... then you will still own it, as it was sold outside the leasing.

The DVR service fee is $5.99... you don't pay the $12.99 fee to TiVo... TiVo, INC... doesn't control the service for the DirecTV combo units... So it will just be a $5.99 increase to your bill. (if you replace your current reciever).

The 2 Year agreement will apply regardless if you buy it from DirecTV or Ebay.

6. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Be careful with ebay though. If the dvr comes from an account that has an unpaid balance, DirecTV will not activate it for you.

Also, you will almost certainly have to buy a new access card for $20 from DirecTV.

I think you can probably get a DVR at no cost directly from DirecTV. You should discuss with them before buying.

Carl

7. janna57

janna57 New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Thanks for all of your help with my homework. Now, I can go out and play! :)

Originally, I thought that it would be better to own instead of leasing. But, I have decided to go with the Direct TV deal. (Against, my husband's wishes) Shh!!! For, just 5.99 a month extra, it is so worth it. But, it's payback time. He cancelled my cable, and ordered direct tv, without consulting me first. Okay, too much information.

Thanks for all of the replies.

8. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    It may be possible to check the serial # with directv and be sure there is no balance on the account. If the seller says they wont give the # be wary. Document everything from the sale including the response from the seller and the # they give. Make sure the #s match if they send u a machine with a different # file a grievence with pay pal right away.

9. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Don't limit yourself to an R10 (if you decide you want a Tivo-based DirecTV DVR) - that just happens to be the most recently manufactured model of DirecTV DVR that was based on Tivo software - there are a number of "Series 2" DirecTivo DVR units - see this thread for a list of them.

Some people report WalMarts still having R10s available... look in the 3rd paragraph of this post for some other ways to obtain a Series 2 DirecTivo DVR... lots of pointers on modification of a S2 non-R10 there as well.

10. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    If you want a Series 2 DirecTiVo which you will own, you just might look at the sponsors at the top of the page. And the card you currently have will work just fine in a switch to a DirecTiVo. Don't get the R10 or R15. You will never be able to expand the capabilities. A task so easy that even a totally linux challenged person like myself can perform the "operation".

Now if you want a nice Series one, well just look at my signature line.

11. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Yes you own the equitment..
    If u have premier service "TIVO" is free..
    No u do not pat Tivio any fees with direcTV.
    Now get back to class...lol

12. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    The new R15 from DirecTV without TiVo software is not going to work like a TiVo. There are ongoing problems presently with this machine even after several software updates over the last three months.

You have probably read reviews and comments on the R15 versus TiVo and I'm sure you can see from this TiVo users forum why DirecTV has over 2.5 million satisfied TiVo customers.

Some will say the future of DirecTV is with the R15 and that's why you should get one and even put up with it's problems until DirecTV gets it right. DirecTV's new owners made a business decision to no longer promote TiVo and try to make their own DVR.

You have a choice and don't have to do business directly with DirecTV to purchase a DVR. Go to a website such as Weaknees.com that will sell you exactly what you desire, a DirecTV DVR with TiVo. You can activate it for $5.99 per month. DirecTV will continue to support TiVo boxes with the current software into the future.