New pilot software released for Virgin's TiVo, in sync with Premiere software?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by The Wishlist, Oct 13, 2011.

1. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi all, dunno if Premiere owners will be getting all of these features, one of them (Red Button Support) is specific to the UK while the Spotify support is due to a deal Virgin did:

http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2011/10/limited-pilot-for-winter-2011-software.html

Early feedback suggests that performance has improved (thank god) and multi box streaming has been enabled. The downside for us is that VM/TiVo have forced global default padding upon us, 1 minute before and 4 minutes after. That's due to the number of customers missing the end of recordings and the inability of TV channels over here (yes, BBC, I'm looking at you) to run to schedule.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Forced padding? Do they think their customers are children?

I could understand an option you enable that would let the user decide to enable padding on all recordings, but to force it on everyone?

i certainly hope that doesn't make it's way to the US.

3. The Wishlist

Dec 7, 2010
    Trust me, no-one over here was asking them to do that. There's not even an option to turn the sodding thing off. Most of us aren't happy because with TiVo using 2 tuners to record back-to-back programmes on the same channel, it will cause clipping and clashes all over the place.

We begged Virgin not to do this. They did it anyway:
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/New-Tivo-Update/td-p/774663/page/6

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I doubt that it will be in sync with U.S. versions. They don't even keep them in sync between U.S. and Aus/NZ TiVos, or between Series 2/3/4 anymore.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would imagine though it includes many of the improvements we are seeing in 14.9 on the Elite. It may not be perfectly in sync but it seems like it is similar to what the Premieres will be getting soon.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The Virgin box has always been ahead of the US version in terms of UI featuers.

7. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is ridiculous how they get much better software. Why cant we get it? Come on US tivo! Step it up!!!

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would never call forced padding better software. IF we had this version with forced padding, I would have already run into a bunch of conflicts with my Elite and missed some shows. With no forced padding the shows got recorded without missing any of the shows or any part of them..

9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Padding is an option. Why would they need to force it? Why aren't cable companies complaining to the channels who don't start/end on time. Don't they have a vested interest in this?

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Apparently in the UK it is a huge issue with recordings not running on time ever.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, but having a HD Guide among other features for almost a year now when the US version doesn't is pretty surprising.

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Um- this is a pilot. Feel free to sign up for official beta testing on your own.

13. sharp1

sharp1 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Tampa
    Actually, on shows recorded back-to-back on the same channel with overlap enabled, I have seen the overlap included on both recordings. So assuming it works the same way there, that at least should not be an issue.

But I think if they want to have it more widely used because of support issues, they should turn it on by default, and allow a user to turn it off or modify it if they choose.

14. The Wishlist

Dec 7, 2010
    It is when its using an extra tuner.

The legacy Virgin PVR (V+ HD) was smart enough to drop padding in that case, so it would just use 1 tuner.

15. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Im not saying the forced padding is good, but everything else (HD Guide, updated tivo, more apps,) is much better. I bet they will change the forced padding. Dosent the virgin tivo have more then 2 tuners anyways? So forced padding shouldnt be that big of a deal.

16. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    yes it has 3 tuners

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, it has 3 tuners, so I don't think it will be as big of a deal as most people make it seem.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've only had my Elite for eight days. And already I've had several occasions where I had four concurrent recordings. And that is with four tuners.

19. The Wishlist

Dec 7, 2010
    As someone whose actually used one, I disagree (and if the Virgin TiVo Help & Support Forums are any indication, I'm not alone).

Padding is almost mandatory over here because some of our TV channels (BBC in particular) are terrible at running on schedule. Add on the inefficient use of tuners (even if we do have 1 extra) and the default padding planned in the pilot update, and there's gonna be trouble.

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, but you are not an average TiVo/DVR user. I do agree that the padding options are going to cause problems with users, but much less than if it only had 2 tuners.