New OTA TIVO user w/ FIOS Internet trying to get MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gportiz, Feb 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gportiz

gportiz New Member

Feb 2, 2016

Advertisements

I am finally cutting the DirecTV cable cord after 15-Years and going OTA. I plan on purchasing a Bolt and 4 Minis.

Current Configuration:

*DirecTV in 6-Rooms. Each room has it's own DVR. Each room is prewired with Coax outputs.
    *Verizon FIOS Internet. My Netgear Router is connected to the Verizon ONT via Ethernet cable not coax cable.

New Configuration Plan:

OTA Antenna and Coax Cable from FIOS Router to 8-Way Splitter for distribution.

All of my house's coax cables meet near the DirecTV Satellite Dish. I plan on purchasing a new 8-Way Splitter to distribute the signal from my OTA Antenna. So here is my question. I have my old FIOS Actiontec router in the closet. I understand that the FIOS Actiontec router has MOCA built in. Since internet enters my house via Ethernet cable, the Coax plug on the FIOS router is vacant. So if I run a coax cable from the Verizon Router to the 8-Way Splitter and connect it to one of the inputs, will it activate MOCA to the rest of the lines?

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row prior to installation. I appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Only the Bolt needs OTA. No need to amp or split to every room.

3. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    You realize that with 4 Minis if they all have a tuner tied up (and I think they take 4 hours to release after last use according to some documentation that comes with the mini) that there would be no tuners left to watch live or even record at the DVR?

Perhaps the mini asks if it's ok to change channels if needed as the main unit does. I do not know. But that seems very tight and cramped -especially where you had 12 tuners in your DirecTV system.