New or Tivo renewed Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Torino, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Torino

Torino Member

Oct 5, 2006
    VA

Advertisements

The on going sale has them 100.00 apart. Should I spend the extra and get the new tivo or save and get the Tivo renewed?

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    My recommendation, save the $100.

3. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014
    +1!

I ordered two and one looks barely used, while the other one looks brand new. From about two feet, or so, they both look brand new. If you ever have problems with a new one, they will send you a refurbished replacement.

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Bought a new Roamio Basic late last year.

It failed, completely, after 96 days.
    Cost $50 for a replacement; now I have a "referb."
    Not happy but it's working at the time.

So yeah, save the $$$ and get the referb.

5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

With the Refurb I got, I swear they just pulled a new one out of the fancy box and repackaged it in a generic brown box. It looks brand new with no scratches or even a fingerprint on it.

Go with the refurb.

6. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    +1

Just got my refurb last week. Looked to me like a returned unit (some minor scuffing). Switched the HDD to a 3TB WD AV, connected, and powered up. Came up fine and is working so far.

I have had good luck with refurb units so I'd say save the $100. A quick scan around the net will reveal the pros and cons 'coz like anything your mileage may vary.

7. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    The refurb'd Roamio I received last week looks brand new and works perfectly. My last refurb was a TiVo HD, still going strong six years later (well, actually now it is off and in the box - deciding whether to sell it). :D

8. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    bought refurb as well w/ the $250 lifetime deal recently, works just fine.

9. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    The irony is for most manufacturers referbs have more attention paid to them than "new". For most reputable companies I love referb machines. The only times I am wary are if there are batteries involved. I ordered a refurbed Roomba from Amazon and the battery was crap and they wouldn't do anything about it so watch the exclusions :p

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Buying a refurb TiVo is probably not too risky; if one happens to be bad you usually find out about it within the warranty period. I would not counsel anyone against that purchase.

However, I've had some bad experiences with refurbs. Notably computer monitors where the defects might not be immediately apparent. For example, years ago I bought a NEC 25" CRT for about 1/3 the price of a new one, which turned out to have a hole in the screen that only appeared intermittently. Eventually it started to grow until soon the screen was gone. That bottle only lasted about a year, so my "bargain" was actually a bum steer. Similar experiences have led me to personally avoid buying other people's problems as a general rule.

On the gripping hand, I once bought a couple of discontinued Logitech Harmony remotes to replace ones I had that died in service. Because they had been in storage so long, even though they were actually new, the material in the keys had deteriorated resulting in near-dead keys in both of them. When I got fed up with having to push multiple times to change to channel 6, I bought refurbs of the same remotes on the theory that a refurb probably would get some kind of quality check; the refurbished remotes had no dead keys and worked just fine. So in this case, the refurb was far better than the "new".

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I would guess many TiVo refurbs are new boxes returned during the 30 day return period that aren't in fact defective. The return can result from either user or cable co ineptitude or just that the user decides they don't like the TiVo experience (hard to imagine, I know) or they want a different TiVo model.

Hopefully TiVo tests them before selling as a refurb, at least if the user has complained of a particular defect.

12. rf52

rf52 New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Well, I went for the refurb unit with lifetime. Received the Roamio, ran guided setup, and left it overnight planning on pairing the cable cards the next day.

When I turned the TV on the next day, the picture had vertical stripes all across the screen. After working with Tivo support for a couple of hours to prove it was in the Roamio and not my HDMI cable or TV, they finally agreed to replace the Tivo. I suspect that the unit was returned for the same issue, but by the time it got back to Tivo, tested ok.

Kind of soured me on the whole "refurbs are tested better than new" theory I used to believe.

Tivo told me they were doing a cross-exchange, meaning they were shipping me a new unit the same time I am returning the defective one, but the paperwork states they will send me another unit 7-10 days after receiving the bad one.

13. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    It's a roll of the dice. The worst case scenario is that the unit was returned because there was something wrong with it, but because it was an intermittent condition, TiVo couldn't find or fix it.

14. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Nov 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    It's really tempting to get a refurb for $300 which includes lifetime. My trigger finger is really itchy. :)

15. benhvic

benhvic New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    I bought the refurbished Roamio last week with lifetime service for $300. I opted for the 3 year optional warranty for $39 as insurance. I believe I received a new one, even though it was in a brown box, it still had all the protective plastic, I examined it in good light and there were no signs it had ever been used, no scratches, smudges, etc.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I know the feeling. One way to think of it--freely returnable, with TiVo even picking up the return shipping, if you decide it was a poor choice impulse buy . . . . ;)

17. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014
    I bought two Roamio Basic units and they are working great! I would just order another one and send the first one back, since this would be faster for you.

18. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I'm looking at this current deal. No 6 tuner, right?
    A 6 + mini would let me save a Comcast outlet fee and card.