New off-air ant. broke even sat. transponders

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TooMuchTV, Jan 25, 2006.

1. TooMuchTV

TooMuchTV Excitable Member

May 15, 2001
    Glendale, AZ
    I've had a working HD-Tivo with off-air antenna for a while now but I have some multi-path issues and today installed a more directional antenna. My problem is that now I don't get any even transponders on the sats. Sorry in advance to the long post but I'm no expert on multi-switches & diplexers so I'm going to try to describe my entire setup in the hopes that someone can give me a solution.

If I disconnect the new antenna at the antenna then all transponders begin functioning again, so I know that I don't have a problem with the head-end LNB's.

I have:
    - 3 LNB dish with 4 lines run to a powered multiswitch
    - Multiswitch is a Zinwell Sam4803 4x8 (powered)
    - Diplexer between the antenna and dish is Windgard DS8000 "Powered off-air/sat combiner"

Since the installer didn't have a 5x8 I guess he did a double diplexer thing in my wiring closet. One of the 4 wires from the sat is split so the 18v side runs to the in of the switch and the vhf side runs to the vhf side of another diplexer. That diplexer has one of the outputs of the switch run to the sat in side and then that runs to my HD-Tivo where it of course is diplexed again. I know. It's kind of ugly but I actually get great signal strength even with all the diplexers. And it was working fine before I messed with it.

I'm sure that the problem is caused by the new antenna interfering somehow but I don't know enough about how this all works to know how to troubleshoot it correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Does that Antenna have a power amplifier? If so, it would mess up the SAT feed in that line.

disconnect the Antenna for now, and see if you get your transponder back.

Your installation does sound ugly.... The best method for what you are doing is to run 4 untouched feeds from the dish to your multiswitch.

Then take the one feed from your multiswitch, that is going to your HD reciever, and diplex in the antenna signal... Then diplex it out at the box.

Any chance, you can run a third line to your HD area, and just get rid of the diplexing all togethter?

3. TooMuchTV

May 15, 2001
    Glendale, AZ
    My off-air antenna and sat dish are right next to each other. Running another wire just for the OA antenna is not really an option.

The new antenna is not powered. It just a Yagi (sp) type. My old antenna was one of those flying saucer looking omni's. There is no brand or model on it. I don't know if it was powered or not but the outside diplexer at the antenna says "Powered off-air/sat combiner". Does this mean that my old antenna was powered?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Make sure that the diplexers only pass DC voltage on the sat leg. Otherwise, the OTA is interferring with the switching voltage to the dish.

Also, check the connections.

5. TooMuchTV

May 15, 2001
    Glendale, AZ
    I didn't change any of the diplexers. I only switched the OA antenna. Everything, including the diplexers was working fine before. I've checked all of the connections. Any other ideas?

If I disconnect the antenna at the antenna leaving all the diplexers and other wiring in place then my even transponders work okay.

6. greywolf

greywolf New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Evanston IL
    Even a different balun can cause a problem if the antenna end diplexer is a 2 port power passing type. Make sure it's a single port power passing diplexer.

7. TooMuchTV

May 15, 2001
    Glendale, AZ
    You hit it right on the head. I guess my old antenna was powered so the antenna-end diplexer was passing DC. I replaced it and all is well. Thanks to everyone for the help!