New multiswitch for TiVo replacement(s)?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by htroberts, Nov 19, 2008.

1. htroberts

htroberts New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I have two HR10-250's, two HDVR2's, and an old stand-alone receiver. We only have one HD television at the moment, and I'd like to replace the HR10-250 that's connected to it with an MPEG-4 receiver.

Of course, I've been getting the emails and phone calls from DirecTV to replace my equipment, so I know I can call them and get that part of it taken care of.

Is there an explanation of the signal and multiswitch differences between the old and new satellites, perhaps posted in a wiki-type article somewhere? I have a Spaun multiswitch now, and would like to know what the implications are of switching out just the one receiver.

My preferred long-term plan is to wait until the reported whole-house TiVo DVR is released, and get rid of the remaining MPEG2 receivers then, but that plan didn't work out so well last time. If DirecTV does end up delivering this type of system, I would be surprised if the requirement isn't to just run 'n' cables from the (dish) antenna to the DVR box.

If the whole-house solution isn't delivered and I end up needing to replace all of my receivers with new-generation ones, what multiswitch changes would I need to make? Any chance of DirecTV covering that cost?

Thanks,
    Heath

2. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    If you have D* replace the receivers, they will ALSO replace the dish & multiswitch - you'll end up getting a WB68 since you don't have more than 8 tuners. They are all backward compatable with any old receivers. Since your market is NOT a 72.5 market, your 3 existing non-HD receivers will continue to work as is with the new dish/switch.

And most likely, D* will probably be willing to replace BOTH of your HD Tivo's w/new MPEG4 receivers for FREE, so why wouldn't just go ahead & do BOTH at once? Even though you may NOT have a 2nd HD set yet, your monthly cost for another HD DVR would be the same, so why not get it replaced NOW while you can... ;) ;)

3. htroberts

htroberts New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Durham, NC
    So, the new box will record two programs off a single cable?

What would DirecTV replace my multiswitch with if I did have more than eight?

I think you just told me that a new dish would work with both new and old receivers. Is that right? If there more than one choice for antenna type? And is one more desirable than the others?

Also, I have a three-LNB dish now--which satellites do I need to receive to get the new HD programming (including locals for Raleigh/Durham, NC)?

4. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    NOT unless you get either an SWM switch or SWM dish - & D* doesn't exactly give these out all the time. If you are replacing HD Tivo's, don't you already have dual coax to both of them - if so, just use those & leave well enough alone. ;) If not, then you'll have to talk to D* & see if you can get one out of them.

WB616, which has 16 outputs - these are the only 2 switches that work with the Ka birds. (other than the SWM type)

Yep, always have...

Nope

Both Ka birds at 99 & 103 - the new dish will pick up what you have now as well.

5. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Looks like you've got good answers to most your questions, I just have a couple clarifying comments.

You might be confused. There has not been any whole-house Tivo DVR announced or even hinted at. All there has been is an announcement of a Tivo box (either loaded on current DirecTV hardware or a new receiver) for 2nd half 2009 (and most would agree it will probably be near the end of that if not early 2010 knowing the track record of both Tivo and DirecTV).

DirecTV has stated in their financial calls of doing a whole home solution in 2010/11 timeframe but nothing to do with Tivo. In fact DirecTV hasn't said anything about Tivo in any of their financial calls, just the press release from a few months ago. DirecTV's long term plan is MRV (which has begun testing this week) for 2009 and then a whole-home solution in 2010/11.

We'll see. MRV requires a home network. Nothing has been talked about on the whole home solution and I wouldn't expect much info until end of next year at the earliest.

Good luck.