New Mpeg4 dish with HR10-250 the way to go?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jsheer, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jsheer

jsheer New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    New York

Advertisements

Current situation:

Have Older Tivo unit and Old DIsh.
    HD Built In TV.

Over The Air HDTV just didn't work. I live in a valley not giving good access to signal, although only 20 miles from Empire State Building.

I am considering buying the MPEG-4 dish
    http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=AT59

Do I buy this receiver below now? Also, any suggestions on best place for purchase?
    HR10-250

Or wait on both Dish and Receiver?

Please help.....

2. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    In your case I guess it would depend on how much you like the TiVo interface as HR10 is going to be the end of the road for DTivo.

I'm over 20 miles and valley/hill from my local digital transmitters (although out here in the boondocks, only two of the stations are doing digital so far) and I'm able to get both just fine through the HR10's ATSC tuners. Are you using a large outdoor antenna, RG6QS cable, and an amplifer?

Now since you're so close to NY, you should be able to get the MPEG2 local broadcasts just fine from D* to your HR10. And since NY is one of the major national feeds for D*, it should be available for a long time to come.

Either way, you can't go wrong with getting the new dish. If I were you, I'd get the HR10 now too.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Wait. The HR10-250 won't be able to take full advantage of that dish. No MPEG4 support.

4. jsheer

jsheer New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    New York

Thanks for the quick feedback!

No MPEG4 support, but am I creating any incompatibility between the two? In other words,

HR10 with the new KU/KA MPEG4 dish will provide a dish that will work with the new generation of recevier, even though I will need the new line of receiver in 6-9 months to benefit completely?

My options are on both the dish. Could go with cheap 3LNB now, or the $150 KU/KA...i just want to ensure this new dish won't limit me, as this is the first dish of it's kind....THe new D*TV receiver will work with this dish, that is the big question.

Thanks in advance.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

The HR10 will work fine with the new dish.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And, who knows what deals DirecTV may have when the HR20 becomes available? The HR20 won't have the TiVo interface.

7. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    If you don't care about WB, UPN, or PBS, you'll probably not even notice MPEG4, I'd by the HR10 and ride it out for a couple of years.

8. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    If you buy the HR10-250; there is a fair chance the retention dept(1-800-824-9081) will give you the new dish and installation -- or only charge $15 for shipping

9. jsheer

jsheer New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    New York

I called D*

They have the HR10-250 WITH the new 5 LNB dish for $599-$200 rebate. ($399 net),and they will install the new dish.

In the Spring, they will have an upgrade path for the receiver, however the rep stated I will NOT need to upgrade the dish, as this will take care of everything for a while. He didn't have prices on the upgrade path, but I take it will be reasonable. ??

So, if I take this plan, I am getting the next generation dish NOW, and a receiver for 3-4 months, followed by an updated receiver.

Any thoughts? Does this dish have any limitations compared to the Solid Signal MPEG4 dish that is available now?
    http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=AT59

If not, I'm going with it...

J

Thanks in advance.

10. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    jsheer: Call CR and act like your local cable company called you and offered you a great switch over deal. (call your cable company and get details of dish buy pack offer or something so you have details) Then try and bargain a better deal with Directv for the HR10-250. I got it for $199 and they also threw in free HD package, Showtime and some programming credits. What you will get is pure luck. Each CR rep is different but you should at least get some free programming included in the deal. Worth a few phone calls if you ask me.

11. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Same dish -- they're all AT9. It's the only 5LNB dish on the market.

12. JoeTivo25

JoeTivo25 Member

Sep 1, 2004
    That thing (the 5lnb dish) looks huge. How much bigger is the new dish from the Triple lnb? I lost my dish during Katrina and am trying to decide between cable and DTV again.

13. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    It's quite a bit larger and requires a different pole due to the weight. I think it's about 40% bigger? It's still under FCC regs for DBS dishes (< 1m).

14. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    The dishes are the same --- except for the $134 cost. Try the retention number for a better deal on the HR10-250/dish/install combo.

15. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Does the new dish suffer less from rain fade because of its larger size?

16. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    andbye -- you can reduce your worries about WB and UPN by 50% -- since they merged, today!

17. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    Yes and no.

It's got more surface area to capture and reflect signals.
    However, dish pointing is tricker, so you can be more prone to a slightly lower signal strength in the first place.

I'd say it's roughly the same. YMMV.

H

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I 2nd getting the HDtivo. It's a known quantity whether you love/hate it. Who knows what the new DVR will be like? no one. And it sounds like you are in the NY market, and thus I assume that means you get the NY HD channels without waivers. If that is true, jump on the deal and try to get it cheaper than 400 bucks. I love the HDtivo and even though you said you get no OTA, it's still a very good machine.

good luck with CSR roulette

19. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    You know as new as the HR10-250 is, you'd think DTV would have incorporated the new Ka support.

It's almost a conspiracy theory. Maybe they did it on purpose.

20. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The HR10 was introduced in mid-2004. and was designed back in 2003.